Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Electricians.....

HavasuSelect
    I'm decided that I want to go into this field. I've been calling around different unions and getting information about the various positions (Inside wireman, groundsman, Lineman,ect...). I want to get into an apprenticeship soon but I'm a little confused about the actual duties and earning capabilities of the different positions. Can anybody shed some light please???
    Eric-H.S.

vmjtc3
    In my opinion inside wireman is the best way to go. I work out of ibew 357 in vegas. There is a lot of work here and it is not uncommon to make well over 100,000 a year. If you need anymore info shoot me a pm and I will be happy to answer them :rollside:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    My husband is a union journeyman for Local 441. As an apprentice you will dig ditches and clean up trash on the jobsite. Thats what my husband makes his apprentices do.
    j/k
    I am sure he will post in this thread to enlighten you as to the glorious world being an electrician. :boxed:

doesitfloat?
    [QUOTE=Mrs. Bordsmnj]My husband is a union journeyman for Local 441. As an apprentice you will dig ditches and clean up trash on the jobsite. Thats what my husband makes his apprentices do.
    QUOTE]
    That's called building character!!! I certainly paid my dues during my union apprenticeship.

XtrmWakeborder
    My pops is an electrician "not in a union" and makes 90k a year. I'm his assistant and all in all it really isn't a hard trade to learn or do. From what i hear linemen make very good money, but one mistake and you could be toast. I think i'll stick to 120, 277 and sometimes 480 though.

HavasuSelect
    Thank You everybody for your responses. I'm no stranger and I don't mind hard work. I'm used to being at the bottom so thats not an issue either. Just a few more questions. What is the retirement like? Once you're a Journeyman is it hard to find work?

cola
    My pops is an electrician "not in a union" and makes 90k a year. I'm his assistant and all in all it really isn't a hard trade to learn or do. From what i hear linemen make very good money, but one mistake and you could be toast. I think i'll stick to 120, 277 and sometimes 480 though.
    Well if you have 277 there is always 480. Be carefull.

JB in so cal
    "220. 221. Whatever it takes "

cola
    If you need me I'll be at the gym.

ChumpChange
    Sorry to jack the thread but.......
    I got a hot tub from a freind a couple weeks ago. I need to wire from my breaker box to the tub. It takes 220. I think there is enough room in the current box for a 220. Any electicians near my house in Claremont that can do this????
    Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast