Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 25 Shockwave/Catalina

rollin24/7
    I have 25ft Shockwave and am considering making a trip over to Catalina. Wondering how safe it is to make this trip and what is neccesary to have on the boat to make the trip? ie: radio, dingy, etc? How is the water once you are past the mile marker? Any advice from those who have made the trip is much appreciated. Thanks.

Kilrtoy
    I have done it once in a Shockwave, Very nice ride....
    becareful. leave early come back NO LATER THAN 1PM..... Swells get big in the afternoon.
    GPS, a must
    VHF radio to transmit in case of emergency
    A full tank of gas

rollin24/7
    Much appreciated! Just out of curiosity, what speed were you doing there and back?

Kilrtoy
    Much appreciated! Just out of curiosity, what speed were you doing there and back?
    We were running about 60 to 65 on the way back, I was in a 38 Fountain on the way there,
    BECAREFUL..... It is a whole different world.
    Hopefully some ocean people will chime in, I really know very little about the ocean...

rollin24/7
    Me too......the only ocean experience I have is Lake Mohave 2 weeks ago and the 6ft swells in the basin.....................did I mention that mohave...........well you know! thanks for the advice.

Family4Day
    Our 26 Laveycraft runs it no problem. There are guys on here with great tips and advice-all very informative! GPS, VHF, Float Plan and run it with some other boats! It makes the trip fun and makes for a good crowd to have bloody mary's with on the island. Having another boat is a safety as well. The float plan idea I got from someones post on here and I have done one ever since. Just nice to have someone on dry ground know where you are, going, returning, etc. Post when you are planning a trip, I'd be game and I'm sure there are a few others that would be as well.
    Todd

rollin24/7
    Sounds good. It will probably be a few weeks from now. Any word on what the price is to dock there for the night?

MarkyMark
    Rollin, I have made this trip in my closed bow 25 Tremor about 4 times. I would leave Davies around 8:00am and would make it to the island about 8:40. We would eat breakfast and leave around 12:30. We cruised around 50-60 mph depending on water. If you can stay the night that would be the best and leave the next morning. On our way back to the ramp we would stop at the Yard House. Take a hand held VHF,GPS, and cell phone. If you can cross with another boat I would, it's just safer that way.

HMF'er
    I'd be up for a trip. How about sometime in August. We can have ShockwaveBD lead the way.

purrfecttremor
    Who the hell is shockwavebd

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast