Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: procharger carb jetting

502procharger
    i just put a procharger on ny 25' switzer. i bought the kit used including the carb off of a 500 hp. i put it onto my 502 and started to do a few test runs. it ran ok, but loads up at idle. i pulled the primary jets to see what they were and they had been modifies. i called procharger and told them the situation, they told me i should be 10 to 12 jet sizes above what i was running without the blower. i went back to the carb that was perviously on it(not the stock carb) it was an holley 850 with 78 primary and 86 secondary. does this mean i need to go to 90 primary and 98 secondary. that seams really big. i think the jets in there now are smaller than that and the carb came off a bigger (500hp) moter than my 502. Anyone with any big block procharger experiance please help.

Infomaniac
    You need to look close at the idle circuit if it just loads up at idle.
    Check the float level also. Take a look at the floats also to see if they have collapsed.
    Make sure a powervalve is not blown too.

502procharger
    i check the float levels todat. i put the poat into the water, removed the side screws and let it run, the fuel was right at the bottom ot the hole with none dripping out. the power valve looked ok, but how do you tell if it has gone bad? the boat runs good 1300 rpm and up, any lower than that and it floods itself right out.

FASTERDAMITT
    Call the Carb Shop in Ontario Ca. 909-947-3575. I changed the cam and heads on my 454 Procharged. Sent the Carb in. They set up the circuits for your particular engine. When I put mine on I didn't even have to ajust idle, they set it up perfect!
    [This message has been edited by FASTERDAMITT (edited June 03, 2002).]

502procharger
    sorry about all of the spelling mistakes, new keyboard, big fingers. thank you guys for the advise. more is always welcome

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by 502procharger:
    i check the float levels todat. i put the poat into the water, removed the side screws and let it run, the fuel was right at the bottom ot the hole with none dripping out. the power valve looked ok, but how do you tell if it has gone bad? the boat runs good 1300 rpm and up, any lower than that and it floods itself right out.
    You are pretty sure it floods and is not running out of gas?
    A mini vac is the best way to test a powervalve. (they make special tools). If not take it out and suck the valve in, put your tongue over the hole and it should hold.
    Another way will be screw in each idle screw individually and to see how the engine reacts. If it does not want to die it is getting fuel from somewhere else.

502procharger
    i am pretty sure it floods because if i back down the fuel pressure it runs better, and vise versa if i increase fuel pressure it floods out at a higher rpm. at 7 lbs it will not run below 1300 rpm. at 4-5 lb it runs at about 1100 any lower and id dies. when i restart it i have to increase the throttle to about 1/2 and turn it over for 20 sec or so before it fires. when it does it is all loaded up.

502procharger
    thank you everyone for the advise. nickerson is building me a custom blow through carb. any idea what i should sell a alum 500hp intake and holly 830 carb off of the same motor for? as always any halp is apriciated.

502procharger
    god i need spellcheck

BlownCole
    I am guessing that you have a boost referenced pressure reg. I ran a blow thru procharger on a street car. Can't remember the particulars but I did end up using a smaller carb with big jets. It was a Carb Shop piece. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast