Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 496 Mag Exhaust Manifolds, Performance?

phebus
    Phebus, What difference did it make with your boat ?
    Nothing real noticeable. Maybe picked up 100-150 rpm, and maybe 1mph. It's a 496HO, I'm not going to beat anyone that matters anyway. I might throw them back in for any insurance they might provide.

Beer-30
    And the best thing is
    100% free hp, nice !!!! Thanks for the input, I will be pulling out mine this weekend
    I have also heard that if you put in a colder thermestat it will pick up HP, I wonder how true that is ?
    You don't even need new gaskets. It is self explanitory, but the "plate" is sandwiched between two gaskets. Just pull the plate and leave the two gaskets.
    Just throw them on a shelf - in case.

HatenWinter
    Shadow,
    Your stock risers look nice polished. Did you get this done in Havasu and if so where and how much did they charge? I may be interested in doing it myself. Everyone knows the best way to make your boat faster is to put more shiny metal on the motor, right? Just kidding.......Thanks!!!

spectras only
    Out of curiousity I pulled one of the the risers off of my 6.2 yesterday to check out the turbulator issue. For starters , the reduced opening matches the runner size in the manifold itself , so I don't think there's any gain from removing it . A completely different manifold/riser would be the answer for any benefit. The turbulator will not stop reversion with its small capacity holding maybe 5 cc . It is meant to hold small droplets created by condensation during the cooling off. My waterline is below the manifold/riser joint and yet I found slight rust deposit around the turbulator's edge . Every drop of water kept from the exhaust valves and rings are good insurance IMHO . One mile gain isn't enough reason for me to remove it :argue:

Sweet Addiction
    Alright guys, I am running a 26' checkmate with a 496 mag and I installed my EMI exhaust over the weekend and went for a run on Sunday, 75 gal tank little over 3/4 full and 4 adults on board.
    So before I was Complaining about the fact that when I had my prop labbed at the shop that I lost about 200 RPM and it felt quite sluggish. I was only able to get a GPS at about 60 maybe 61 and was only running 4600 RPM
    After the exhaust was installed, I noticed a deeper sounding engine that seemed to breath better during idle, the hole shot was better, and holy shit mid range will throw you back in your seat.
    Although the wind was kicking up into the mid 20's and creating 3-4 swells I still got some driving time in.
    I definately had a smile on my face.
    So the best I could get today was 4800 RPM, 63.5 mph on the GPS, and the water conditions were crappy.
    Plus I am going to take the prop back in do a little adjustment to bring it back down 100 RPM to 4700 and I think I will see a constant 65 mph I hope.
    I am happy with them, the install went great except for the damn plugs on the bottom, and it looks good in the engine compartment.
    So, thats about all the updates I have for now, Hope this helps some of you guys.
    Oh, sorry I did not go run again with the stockers to verify.

Pro Max
    So I take it your happy ? If you could do it again would you still have purchased them ?
    What is involved with the relocation kit ?
    Thanks

Sweet Addiction
    So I take it your happy ? If you could do it again would you still have purchased them ?
    What is involved with the relocation kit ?
    Thanks
    Yea, I am pretty happy with them. Yes, I would still have purchased them, I don't regreat it if that is really the answer you are looking for. To tell you the truth, I want to get back out on the lake asap so I can be for sure that I really want to tweek my prop some more, and put the final polish on it.
    Lets see, relocation.
    I had to cut off one arm that bolted to the starboard header that helped hold up the throttle control plate, but it had enough bolts in it that taking the one was not a problem. I also found that the relocation of the water intake to the bottom of the manifold did not line up like the stock manifolds, and I had to buy some longer water hose and make a loop so the hose did not kink. It looks ghetto but functions. The only problem with getting the headers on is the space in the bilge area, and me sitting down there holding them trying to bolt them on.
    The port header went on well. You have to disconnect the oil lines and use the longer lines supplied, a bracket is included to move the hydraulic reservoir up and the oil filter up and out of the way. It takes some time but its pretty self explanatory. Put your risers on, tighten everything up and away you go.
    The only thing I am having problems with are the damn freeze plug holes on the bottom of the manifolds. I stopped at the auto parts store and just bought some brass plugs, and teflon tape. Well they just drip slow, so I guess I need to try some other type of sealant. Thats it though, I was really impressed with everything and I am excited to get back out again. If you want any pics of the after let me know, it may be a while though because it started raining here today and it does not look like it is going to quit for a while. And if anyone has any other questions let me know, I will try my best to help answer.

Pro Max
    Thanks, The install dont sound so bad,,,,, :boxed:

Beer-30
    Now, if we could just get someone to install the Lightning kit! I would be the first, but I have got to get the stereo done first.

Sweet Addiction
    Thanks, The install dont sound so bad,,,,, :boxed:
    Not to bad, only about 4-5 hours with haveing to go get the parts to finish.