Thread: Not Starting

QuickCheetah
    :cry: :cry: :cry: All week I have been checking my boat to make sure that it will start today...I put a new 1 wire alternator on it..and it fired up everytime...so today I get to the lake and nothing...there has got to be some wiring problem somewhere...the only way it starts is if i hook the battery charger up to it and turn it to start...anyone have any ideas...anything will help...my kids wanna go to the lake tomorrow... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Moneypitt
    Sounds like dirty/loose battery cable connections. And/or bad connection where the ground cable hooks to the block, needs to be clean and without 6 coats of paint. The reason the charger starts it could be the clamping action of the jumper cables, OR the one wire is wired wrong and drained the battery since the last time you fired it. AND the "start" position of the switch could be bad, try jumping the solinoid directly. Now, how about some research, what is the battery voltage when it fails? No gauge? How about a volt meter? When a diode trio goes bad in an alternator it WILL drain the battery over night, and not every night. But is the battery drained? See above about research...............MP

QuickCheetah
    Alternator is brand new...I went and bought a Duralast 1000 CCA battery and it still didnt start....

poncho-pwr
    Sounds like dirty/loose battery cable connections. And/or bad connection where the ground cable hooks to the block, needs to be clean and without 6 coats of paint.
    reread the above.

Cas
    sounds to me like your alternator might be drawing a little current from the battery. Have you checked the voltage on the battery with a seperate meter to see what it's at?
    Some 1 wire alt's will draw some current all the time to keep it "excited". Others will be shut down until they reach a certain rpm to excite them to start charging.
    I have the same issue with an alternator I put on the boat 1 1/2 yrs ago. I now have a solar powered battery charger that gets hooked up whenever the boat sits for more than about a week. Since doing that I haven't had a single issue of a low battery.

QuickCheetah
    Yea i did that..and it seems to be working now...thanks...Mario

What the hell is it with you and those damn wireing gremlins , you just cant get away from them can you . :220v:

QuickCheetah
    I f*cking hate electrical...thats most likely why this always happens to me...samething happened on my race car...but i just rewired it...as for now it seems to be working fine...might take it out tomorrow if i can get away...