Thread: BBC balancer question

jtmarten
    I'm having an issue with setting the timing on my 454. I have a new HEI that I had the advance set up for jet boat use, and when I installed it and attempted to set the timing, the timing groove on the balancer was really jumping around (about a 1/4" span). I reinstalled the original Pertronix dual point, assuming it was the new HEI, but the groove is bouncing around with the Pertronix too. The engine has a double row, true roller timing set, with about 50 total hours on it, so I would think that would still be OK. I'm wondering if the balancer could cause this?
    Thanks for input!!
    Jeff

spectras only
    Make sure the Pertronix rotor has the spring clip !

blowngas
    the timing groove on the balancer was really jumping around (about a 1/4" span).
    I think the timing chain you have has loosened up on you and causing the timing to not be steady.-------I see this with a chain set up, more so on a roller with pretty good spring pressure----even with a rollmaster that has the good chain------only way to hit the timing on the chili is to use a gear drive, or mag pickup-----try marking where you want to total to be real good, and check it with the motor turning some rpm, and see if the jumping around quits, or narrows

jtmarten
    Make sure the Pertronix rotor has the spring clip !
    Yep, it does, but the brand new HEI did the same thing. I'm thinkin' its time for a new balancer and a gear drive set.

jtmarten
    I think the timing chain you have has loosened up on you and causing the timing to not be steady.-------I see this with a chain set up, more so on a roller with pretty good spring pressure----even with a rollmaster that has the good chain------only way to hit the timing on the chili is to use a gear drive, or mag pickup-----try marking where you want to total to be real good, and check it with the motor turning some rpm, and see if the jumping around quits, or narrows
    I'm thinking its the chain as well. I'm going to check things out tonight. It could be something as simple as a bad spark plug, making it run rough, maybe? I wonder how far the balancer would have to slip to cause this. I guess if I have to raise the engine to get the balancer off, I may as well install a gear drive set too.
    How much noise to the 'noisy' gear sets make? I know they whine, but how loud is it?

Moneypitt
    Have you tried the light on another vehicle just to be sure it is not a malfunction with the light? And/or try a different light on the boat, just to be sure before you start tearing into stuff. Seems like if a chain were loose it would go to retard and stay there. Is the cam walking around in there? That could cause the dist/cam gear to pull out, push in and that could change the timing as well. If you do go into the timing cover, be sure to check the thrust surface of the block, behind the upper gear.........MP

carreraelite
    Is there vacume hooked up to the advance pod??

jtmarten
    OK, here's the culprit (at least I hope this is all that's wrong!!)
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../1692plug1.JPG
    I about sh*t when I saw it, thinking a rod had come loose or something and the piston hit it. It's from cylinder #8, and I'm thinking maybe even with a flapper and snail some water got in there, not enough to hydrolock it but enough to kill the plug? I did a cold compression test, and it pumped up fine.
    Tomorrow I'll put the hose on it for a minute or so and see if the timing groove is back, and if the plug survives. I'll hopefully leave work early Friday and make the 85 mile trek to the lake to run it; we're leaving for Glendo, Wy Sunday morning and I'd hate to spend 5 days sitting on the shore!
    Thanks all for your input!! Mucho appreciated!