Thread: spark plug wires for log manifolds

captainblye
    I have a Hardin marine 454 with log manifolds. I just installed a DUI HEI Marine Distributor with a set of MSD Superconductor 8.5 mm Plug Wires. The distributor drop without any problems, but installing the plug wires on the bank of cylinders on the side with the dip stick was a *@#^ %$#@!!!! There is hardly any clearance between the motor and the exhaust manifold. The cylinder that gave me the biggest headache was cylinder #6. Not only is the clearance tight, but the stupid dip stick is in the way. To further complicate matters, the boots on the MSD plug wires are considerably larger than the ones on the original mallory plug wires. I had to replace the MSD boot with the Mallory boot to get the wire to fit in between the manifold and the head and on the plug.
    I left the #6 plug wire for last and come to find out that the wire was too short to run under the manifolds. Not a good day at all...
    What is a good set of spark plug wires to run on a BBC (short deck) with with HEI and log manifolds? I'm talking function form and fit.

Cas
    I've been using the Taylor Spiro cores the last few years and really like them. When I had logs on one of the boats, I ran into the same problem so I just relocated the dipstick.

robk
    I have a Hardin marine 454 with log manifolds. I just installed a DUI HEI Marine Distributor with a set of MSD Superconductor 8.5 mm Plug Wires. The distributor drop without any problems, but installing the plug wires on the bank of cylinders on the side with the dip stick was a *@#^ %$#@!!!! There is hardly any clearance between the motor and the exhaust manifold. The cylinder that gave me the biggest headache was cylinder #6. Not only is the clearance tight, but the stupid dip stick is in the way. To further complicate matters, the boots on the MSD plug wires are considerably larger than the ones on the original mallory plug wires. I had to replace the MSD boot with the Mallory boot to get the wire to fit in between the manifold and the head and on the plug.
    I left the #6 plug wire for last and come to find out that the wire was too short to run under the manifolds. Not a good day at all...
    What is a good set of spark plug wires to run on a BBC (short deck) with with HEI and log manifolds? I'm talking function form and fit.
    How are you routing the wires? I also have have log exhaust and MSD 8.5 mm wires. Just curious to see your setup and potentially a better way to route the wires... Mine are just routed above the logs.
    Rob