Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spark plug ?

flattie
    I'm running a 6-71 mooningham with Merlin heads and 2 750 dbl.pmp carbs with a msd ign. Which spark plugs should I use?
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/dacf8...DnfB9ApCCzDfeR

BradP
    Spark plugs?
    If you start that thing it's just gonna get dirty!

mister460
    Copper core Autolites or something like them. Platinum plugs last a little longer but for the most part they're just a gimmick. Plug gap is more important than type. And a lot of high po ignitions actually recommend NOT using gimmick pl...I mean platinum plugs.

Heatseeker
    What heat range and plug gap should I run? I have a mild 454, 8-71 BDS, 2 850's, Mallory Hyfire ignition, Comp 9000 unilite, Promaster coil(Save the cracks,I've already heard all about Mallory products and carrying a tow rope! I'm stuck with what I've got for now.). Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Thanks in Advance!!!

Infomaniac
    Sorry I cannot recommend a specific plug. I cannot remember exactly which NGK I am running. I will look tomorrow. Autolite was recommended. They are good plugs but are very difficult to read because they are black. Run these after you get it jetted right. Platinum is very resistant to fouling due to combustion deposits. It is hard for deposits to stick to. They are good if you run it extra rich just to be safe.
    Run a cold plug for sure. One common misconception about plugs is the heat range. A hot or cold plug is actually the operating temperature of the plug. I has nothing to do with the energy of the spark. What determines that is the gap and type of ignition source. The correct plug needs to be hot enough for combustion deposits to not foul it and also be cold enough to not cause pre-ignition. A high performance engine has high combustion temps so it needs a cold operating temp plug.

VD CRUISER
    In my 547ci with 1071 and 2 1050 dominators and MSD ignition Merlin heads I just run the cheap Autolites,heat range 24 or 25 and they seem to work just fine. They last a whole season.

Heatseeker
    VD Cruiser,
    What gap do set the plugs to. I bought a set of Autolite 25's last week, and they came with .060" gap. Good or not?

VD CRUISER
    I set mine at .045 with the MSD #6. A wider gap would probably be ok as long as it didn't cause a miss.

Heatseeker
    Thanks. I'll start there!

stressedout
    Run a autolite 24 set at 35. We have run autolites for many yrs. no problems. Autolite also makes a race plug that is J gapped, ELECTRODE IS CUT BACK these are only for high energy ignitions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast