Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berk "E" pump loader questions

bighead
    I have a berk e pump with a AT AA imp,DPS inducer and stuffer installed powered by a mild BBC in a 21 foot open bow boat, it has just the rock grate on it and I am asking if adding a loader will help at all, like the SE version from Berkeley?? Current performance is top speed yesterday on gps 59.2 at 4300 rpm, it is great out of the hole too compared to the stock pump with a Berk A impeller that was not in bad shepr or worn and beat up at all when pulled apart and would spin 4600 rpm which may not have been accurate as the tach went bad right after all the pump work and would do a best top speed of 64 but was not nearly as responsive out of the hole.

IMPATIENT 1
    if your still runnin a stock grate, yes the loader will help!it gives alittle lift to the transom and loads the top of the impellor,i'd recommend the mid level loader,ss loader.

SmokinLowriderSS
    That tach sounds right. Last spring my mildly modded 454 spun my Berk A 4600 just after rebuild, and 4800 by end of the year as she loosened up. The build status should have been worth right at 350HP and that was reflected in the RPM. The AA does help acceleration, as you noticed, but hits you on the top end unless you have enough HP to compensate.
    That 4600 RPM on an A equates to roughly 307HP.
    Same 307 HP spins an AA to 4340 rpm.
    4300 even is about 298HP, and a prog I have predicts 57 at that.

bighead
    SmokinLowriderSS, thanks for the info, you have run #'s for me before and everything still seems ballpark for a 325hp stocker,now does the program tell you what gains you get with mods?? In my case the motor has the smog heads and I will be bolting up a stock set of 049's with roller rockers so just what kind of gains might I reasonably expect ??

Rondane
    I have a berk e pump with a AT AA imp,DPS inducer and stuffer installed powered by a mild BBC in a 21 foot open bow boat, it has just the rock grate on it and I am asking if adding a loader will help at all, like the SE version from Berkeley???
    why didnt the shop that did your work recommend a good loader grate to begin with instead of the inducer with a AA impeller?? Maybe this was what you requested as i'm not sure but your money was better spent on a good loader grate.
    rondane

IMPATIENT 1
    why didnt the shop that did your work recommend a good loader grate to begin with instead of the inducer with a AA impeller?? Maybe this was what you requested as i'm not sure but your money was better spent on a good loader grate.
    rondane
    i agree, i've seen alot of peeps have a inducer installed with no performance results.met a guy this weekend that had just had his done and he gps'd before and after with no noticable results,no harder holeshot or anything.this dude knows how to set-up a boat too.he had a ab imp,split bowl,stuffer and droop,inducer,divertor,ss loader.i smoked him from start to finish line with the same sj hull he runs with a 12je with a stuffer,ss loader,hi-tech shoe and ride plate kit,divertor,berk a,ulitmate wearring.we had about the same amount of power on the mills but i fed my pump better with just the loader alone.

gregr1971
    thats strange, i have a fresh "JE" with the SS loader, A impeller, i can spin it at 5700-5800rpm, with an OLDS! i know those BBC's can do better! and my olds is getting real LOOSE from those rpm's.

IMPATIENT 1
    thats strange, i have a fresh "JE" with the SS loader, A impeller, i can spin it at 5700-5800rpm, with an OLDS! i know those BBC's can do better! and my olds is getting real LOOSE from those rpm's.
    better check your tach bro, unless your puttin out over 600hp with that olds you shouldn't be spinning that many. i just rebuilt my pump(myself) and i have at least 550hp on the mill,750hp on the juice and i'm turnin 5500.

gregr1971
    i'm sure that the true rpm's are around 5500, it is a stout 455

Taylorman
    i'm sure that the true rpm's are around 5500, it is a stout 455
    5500 would be about 525 hp. What do you have in the Olds. I'd love to hear cause thats pretty stout for an olds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast