Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2x4 or 4x4

HocusPocus
    in the past year i have used my '05 dodge 4x to help 2 people pull their boats up the ramp who coudn't get enough traction.
    2 wheel drive trucks, lifted up with big tires.. are still only 2 wheel drive.

2Driver
    4x4 only for me.
    I've watched 2 people lose their rigs. One at Windsor and one on a ramp between Winatou and Moonridge in Parker. Wasn't pretty. One boat was a 20' and the other was a 2-place jet ski trailer believe it or not.
    Always nice to go camping or take a trip to the mountains in the winter time too. Some of the price will come back at resale time too. Why not have the peace of mind?

Biglue
    Never had a problem with either my old truck or my new one. My 26 footer was not an issue even at CAstaic where the ramps are very steep. My old truck was a half ton at that. Never had a traction issue. Knock on wood.

Roxysnow
    Go with the 4x4! Lake is low and algae on the ramp! I went with the 2500hd 2x4, biggest mistake! Now I'm stuck with it for 2 more years!

YeLLowBoaT
    I have never had a prob with a 2x4 auto.... that being said I have gotten stuck with a 2x4 stick... Unless you need the 4wd your just carrying around a extra 1000lbs and costing yourself alot of $$$. Not just in the price. Maintance and INS will cost you more.

spectras only
    What's the weight of your rig ? Do you want to go 4 wheeling occasionally ?
    All depends ! I've used this [ 5050 #] 4 X 2 pulling my 21' boat [ 4030 lbs with trailer ] . Steep ramps no problem. Weight of the tow vehicle is the key with a two wheel drive. My 90 Cherokee only weighed 3000 # , pulling up the same boat at most ramps , without putting it in 4 drive .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/s...colln666.1.jpg
    I wouldn't hesitate towing a 21' boat with a 4X2 Lightning , with proper load range tires :idea:

77charger
    nice option to have.If you cant pull it then at least get the limited slip.MOst times with my 2500hd i can pull my 21 ft boat out easily.I mainly use the 4wd if i go to powell to launch from shore,to glamis(main reason i always go 4wd),or shooting-camping trips.
    mpg and insurance can cost more but that is the only drawback for me i still get full cvg for under 400 a year pays to be over 30 and married.

Riverkid
    My buddy and I had a big Fountain we kept down at the Dunes. He had a dually 2by, and I had an F-150 4by. Guess who had to launch the boat, every time???
    Wasn't the dually. Plus, if you snowski, you don't have to do the chain routinme when driving up...
    In sand, it's a given. I pulled big moho's out with a little Toyota 4by.

Schmick
    it would be a 4x2 and not a 2x4 since you can not drive 2 wheels with 4.
    if youre towing somethjing, especially up wet boat launches, a 4x4 or an awd will perform better

HOOTER SLED-
    it would be a 4x2 and not a 2x4 since you can not drive 2 wheels with 4.
    if youre towing somethjing, especially up wet boat launches, a 4x4 or an awd will perform better
    Maybe he meant sticking 2X4s under the rear wheels for traction when he's stuck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast