Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Havasu Channel and the Mayor

Phat Matt
    Man.....
    If they ban mooring in the Channel your boat won't know where to go.....
    Hehe!!!
    CJG

Where am I going to throw my midnight raves? :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Hey sbark1....dance!

nodigg
    Today's local headline in the paper was about the channel business's being up in arms about the possible no mooring in the channel......

randy77zt
    there will probably be more socal people up here in the delta if there are anymore changes at havasu.but if you boat in the delta it takes more than 5 gallons of gas.it seems like most people at havasu launch and park in the channel just to look cool.

Kilrtoy
    there will probably be more socal people up here in the delta if there are anymore changes at havasu.but if you boat in the delta it takes more than 5 gallons of gas.it seems like most people at havasu launch and park in the channel just to look cool.
    I doubt that will happen
    That is 8 hours towing from LA and 10 Plus from San Diego
    Its way to far

nodigg
    With what we are paying for boats these days...sometimes there isn't much dinero left for gas money anyway???

Ziggy
    It doesn't sound like Harvey was being a hypocrite. He didn't stop the houseboat or beach it.......even if the channel is closed to parking you too can still have a cocktail as you motor through..... :yuk:
    Yeah, but if we do that with a cocktail we are considered the bad influence/image for the city......
    Today's local headline in the paper was about the channel business's being up in arms about the possible no mooring in the channel......
    That's a good thing...someone in the city has to have some common sense left and see what negative impact a no mooring ordinance would cause...

Throttle
    was that the houseboat on saturday nite that parked against the bridge? the boat drove the bow directly into the bridge and left it in gear so he would not drift away... had to do it a couple times... reminded me of the river taxi in laughlin... i remember asking "who does this guy think he is?" lol... the worst parade ever seen!

Kilrtoy
    After reading the article and the qoutes of the mayor. WELL, it just goes to show that having friends in the right place can get you into the right place...
    This guy has no business in politics... They say he is a lawyer, he sounds like a lonely bitter old man....

LakeRacer
    Jackson defends mooring proposal
    By Brian DiTullio
    Thursday, January 5, 2006 7:55 PM MST
    Mayor Harvey Jackson said his proposal to eliminate most of the mooring in the Bridgewater Channel is an attempt to reclaim the area for locals and attract more family-type tourists to the area.
    “I'm very pro-tourism,” said Jackson in response to claims he was trying to run tourism out of Lake Havasu City. “My vision of tourism is to attract the family-oriented tourist, the kind of tourism that was primarily here in the 1970s.”
    Jackson's contention is that bigger boats and rowdier crowds have ruined the area for the locals and that by removing the moorings, the rowdy, drunken crowds would move on.
    The idea first was proposed at the Jan. 3 work session after the Lake Havasu City Police Department gave a presentation about the challenges they face enforcing the law during the height of the summer boating season and holiday weekends in particular.
    Assistant Chief Randy McCaleb wanted to stress that the police department never requested that City Council shut down the Channel; they simply were looking to eliminate alcohol consumption in the manmade waterway.
    McCaleb said their arrest statistics show that most of the problems they face stem from the over-consumption of alcohol, and that by removing that factor from the equation, the rowdy behavior should be reduced significantly.
    Capt. Rich Sloma said most of the arrests in that area over the last few years were for disorderly conduct, OUI or underage drinking.
    “Once young people who don't handle their alcohol all that well are drinking under the sun for a few hours, common sense tends to go out the window,” said Sloma.
    Sloma added that the police did offer some alternative to City Council in April 2004 that included limiting mooring in the south end of the Channel, but they never recommended closing all of it.
    Sloma also said that it wasn't until 1998 when the seawall was added and the beaches created that so many boats could be moored in the Channel. Prior to that, the natural landscape limited areas where boats could be beached.
    “You would have two or three here and two or three there, and then 50 feet of rock,” said Sloma.
    Business owners in the Channel area expressed anger and frustration upon hearing about the possibility of moorings being eliminated and vowed to fight it.
    Jackson said there still is plenty of public debate to be had on the subject, but that he felt there already was a consensus by a majority of City Council on the issue, based on what he heard at the Jan. 3 work session.
    “The question is,” said Jackson. “Should that area be for us and our community, or should we turn it over to the out-of-towners. I can't use the lake anymore and I sold my boat last fall because of the congestion.”
    Jackson boiled the issue down to his campaign platforms of the Channel, the English Village, quality of life and his desire to protect all three.
    “The people that oppose my views have been in charge for 15 years,” said Jackson on the opposition, and called their actions a “failure,” while stating his policies would bring tourism dollars back up.
    Jackson has directed City Attorney Matt Podracky to draw up several ordinances on the issue for presentation at a future meeting.
    You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.
    If I remember right, Jackson is legal counsel for the Marina....it's all beginning to make more sense!

Rod-64
    After reading the article and the qoutes of the mayor. WELL, it just goes to show that having friends in the right place can get you into the right place...
    This guy has no business in politics... They say he is a lawyer, he sounds like a lonely bitter old man....
    Above that article there was the story about the city manager that just left, Tim Ernster. Made it seem the Mayor forced him out. I only read the paper when I'm down there working so I don't know the whole story. It just seems the new Mayor is not very popular in many government issues.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast