Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Havasu Channel and the Mayor

Kilrtoy
    Jackson said there still is plenty of public debate to be had on the subject, but that he felt there already was a consensus by a majority of City Council on the issue, based on what he heard at the Jan. 3 work session.
    ”
    This guy is a total clown, his comment already shows they have their minds made up and plan on moving forward
    “The question is,” said Jackson. “Should that area be for us and our community, or should we turn it over to the out-of-towners. I can't use the lake anymore and I sold my boat last fall because of the congestion.”
    This town is built on and survives on OUT OF TOWNERS.....winter and summer
    they need to recall this clown and get a real politican in here.....

Rod-64
    Jackson defends mooring proposal
    By Brian DiTullio
    Thursday, January 5, 2006 7:55 PM MST
    Mayor Harvey Jackson said his proposal to eliminate most of the mooring in the Bridgewater Channel is an attempt to reclaim the area for locals and attract more family-type tourists to the area.
    “I'm very pro-tourism,” said Jackson in response to claims he was trying to run tourism out of Lake Havasu City. “My vision of tourism is to attract the family-oriented tourist, the kind of tourism that was primarily here in the 1970s.”
    Jackson's contention is that bigger boats and rowdier crowds have ruined the area for the locals and that by removing the moorings, the rowdy, drunken crowds would move on.
    The idea first was proposed at the Jan. 3 work session after the Lake Havasu City Police Department gave a presentation about the challenges they face enforcing the law during the height of the summer boating season and holiday weekends in particular.
    Assistant Chief Randy McCaleb wanted to stress that the police department never requested that City Council shut down the Channel; they simply were looking to eliminate alcohol consumption in the manmade waterway.
    McCaleb said their arrest statistics show that most of the problems they face stem from the over-consumption of alcohol, and that by removing that factor from the equation, the rowdy behavior should be reduced significantly.
    Capt. Rich Sloma said most of the arrests in that area over the last few years were for disorderly conduct, OUI or underage drinking.
    “Once young people who don't handle their alcohol all that well are drinking under the sun for a few hours, common sense tends to go out the window,” said Sloma.
    Sloma added that the police did offer some alternative to City Council in April 2004 that included limiting mooring in the south end of the Channel, but they never recommended closing all of it.
    Sloma also said that it wasn't until 1998 when the seawall was added and the beaches created that so many boats could be moored in the Channel. Prior to that, the natural landscape limited areas where boats could be beached.
    “You would have two or three here and two or three there, and then 50 feet of rock,” said Sloma.
    Business owners in the Channel area expressed anger and frustration upon hearing about the possibility of moorings being eliminated and vowed to fight it.
    Jackson said there still is plenty of public debate to be had on the subject, but that he felt there already was a consensus by a majority of City Council on the issue, based on what he heard at the Jan. 3 work session.
    “The question is,” said Jackson. “Should that area be for us and our community, or should we turn it over to the out-of-towners. I can't use the lake anymore and I sold my boat last fall because of the congestion.”
    Jackson boiled the issue down to his campaign platforms of the Channel, the English Village, quality of life and his desire to protect all three.
    “The people that oppose my views have been in charge for 15 years,” said Jackson on the opposition, and called their actions a “failure,” while stating his policies would bring tourism dollars back up.
    Jackson has directed City Attorney Matt Podracky to draw up several ordinances on the issue for presentation at a future meeting.
    You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.
    If I remember right, Jackson is legal counsel for the Marina....it's all beginning to make more sense!
    See that line up there....the Mayor said "I SOLD MY BOAT?"
    That stinks right there. Why did he go to the crowded channel in the first place??? To patronize the businesses???? You can have fun on the lake with out going to the channel if you hate it that much. So just because he sold his boat no one else should have fum in the channel?
    I don't know about this guy. :yuk:

Kilrtoy
    See that line up there....the Mayor said "I SOLD MY BOAT?"
    That stinks right there. Why did he go to the crowded channel in the first place??? :
    Why do you think.
    he is old and
    wanted to look at hot naked young women

shadow
    Jackson defends mooring proposal
    By Brian DiTullio
    Thursday, January 5, 2006 7:55 PM MST
    “I'm very pro-tourism,” said Jackson in response to claims he was trying to run tourism out of Lake Havasu City.
    If I remember right, Jackson is legal counsel for the Marina....it's all beginning to make more sense!
    So which is it Harvey Jackass wants,
    Is he pro tourism or should the area be for us and our community?

Rod-64
    Why do you think.
    he is old and
    wanted to look at hot naked young women
    Then all the more reason to keep it open...........hell I've said it before on this subject.......plow each side of the thing and expand it!!! Room for everyone...............Boats AND boobies!! :crossx:

C-2
    Jeezuz,
    I don't even live there yet am smart enough to know locals don't visit the lake on the weekend. It's full of damn CF'ers and sux!!!!! :220v:

Rod-64
    Well I don't know too much about this Jackson to make any justifiable slams but is he a good ole boy who's been there a while or what?
    Seems to me all the letters to the editor are quite negative.
    And while we're on the subject let's not forget the English Village fiasco.
    Will they eff that up too?
    What a mess.

shadow
    Jeezuz,
    I don't even live there yet am smart enough to know locals don't visit the lake on the weekend. It's full of damn CF'ers and sux!!!!! :220v:
    They don't?

kingLHC
    This channel issue is becoming quite interesting. I especially liked the part where Mayor Jackson said he would like to return the area to the family friendly atmosphere of the 70's. Well, Mr. Jackson, there were 6,000 people living here then. What the hell are you thinking?

kingLHC
    People forget, the channel is THE city park for LHC and as such the behavior of visitors should be in accordance with what they would want to see in THEIR city park at home. And that goes for the residents as well as the tourists.
    I appreciate your point of view, however, right around the corner is Rotary Park, with a lovely beach, picinic and swimming areas, board walk and better parking. It is much better suited to family gatherings than a stroll down the channel, with or without the party crowd.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast