Thread: Reworking an alum intake

Blown 472
    Has anyone done or seen taking an alum intake manifold, milling it to where it is just the bottom, sides that bolt to the head and the water passage then welding what ever you want to it ie blower manifold??

LakesOnly
    Blown,
    This is exactly what Van does to the lower half of the Offy T/R intake for the 429/460. We have two that we keep intending to get around to modifying, and if you want one for the Ford, get it over here and we'll get 'er done at the same time. The blower sits really low with these intakes.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~highflowd...res/714car.jpg
    The above car managed 7.50's at LA Raceway (at altitude) and 7.20-ish at Sacramento Raceway using a bone stock, used CAST passenger car block, heads & crank. Stock used main bolts & head bolts too. Note the blower: It is using one of the intakes I described above.
    Or is this intake for your new "Project Mope?"
    LO

Blown 472
    Blown,
    This is exactly what Van does to the lower half of the Offy T/R intake for the 429/460. We have two that we keep intending to get around to modifying, and if you want one for the Ford, get it over here and we'll get 'er done at the same time. The blower sits really low with these intakes.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~highflowd...res/714car.jpg
    The above car managed 7.50's at LA Raceway (at altitude) and 7.20-ish at Sacramento Raceway using a bone stock, used CAST passenger car block, heads & crank. Stock used main bolts & head bolts too. Note the blower: It is using one of the intakes I described above.
    Or is this intake for your new "Project Mope?"
    LO
    Yup, but I would like to try and do a windsor first, any thoughts on that?

bigkatboat
    Yes, I've seen street blower manifolds done by known blower companies that exact way. I have used two blocks of aluminum and a sheet for the valley cover, then buit up from there. You MUST keep anything you are welding, bolted to the heads and block. After all welding you still need to have all surfaces 'resurfaced' and 'squared up'. Many years ago I had a customer that had a BDS 440/426/413 Mopar blower manifold. They cut the top off of a dual quad Weiand. Just remember you want the blower base plate parallel with the rocker covers and NOT angled like the carb bases. (if you are going blower)

Blown 472
    Yes, I've seen street blower manifolds done by known blower companies that exact way. I have used two blocks of aluminum and a sheet for the valley cover, then buit up from there. You MUST keep anything you are welding, bolted to the heads and block. After all welding you still need to have all surfaces 'resurfaced' and 'squared up'. Many years ago I had a customer that had a BDS 440/426/413 Mopar blower manifold. They cut the top off of a dual quad Weiand. Just remember you want the blower base plate parallel with the rocker covers and NOT angled like the carb bases. (if you are going blower)
    I am planning that I should keep the surface that the blower bolts to parallel to the surface on the bottom of the intake where it contacts the block?

Blown 472
    Yo Lakes, you got a pic of that intake you could send me??

GofastRacer
    Gary has been doing this for ages!..
    Dyers!. (http://dyersblowers.com/index.html)