Thread: Unfortunate incident @ Blue Water Marina

Timer
    This past week a twin-outboard 21' Daytona sank while in a boat slip. One side of it was kept partially above water by its tie lines to the side of the slip. A diver and his partner came in and put inflatibles under it and then towed it over to the launch ramp where it was put on its trailer. Interesting procedure, but sad for the owner.

TOBTEK
    Horrible filling to come out and see your pride and joy under water! really sucks, I have been there. Hope everything turns out ok for this guy.......

Jrocket
    That really sucks!

Donnie
    Man that sucks ..I know the feeling..
    In 97 my brand new 22 daytona sank in a slip at Temple Bar during a big storm. I woke up in the morning to see my pride and joy underwater.
    I think thats the last time I REALLY had tears in my eyes
    Thanks to Phil Bergeron they put it back together better than new
    [ August 31, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Donnie ]

partycat
    Many years ago at Parker I awoke to find my friends sanger sunk. We manged to get it lifted out of the water and on the trailer.
    We set to work on getting the water out of the motor over many beers. The Gods smiled on us and we had the thing running by the next day. The boat looke like crap, but at least we got to use it again!

Warlock28
    That really sucks!! I hope it can be made new!!

Timer
    In getting a boat motor back in service after sinking, I've heard that what you need to do is fill the motor with engine oil (pouring it down the carbs) and then have it disassembled and put back together again. Apparently this procedure prevents corrosion caused by the water until the motor can be torn down. Comments?

yomama
    Diesel fuel works well and is a bit cheaper
    Drain the pan, then fill'er up !!! Stinks like hell though........

TheLurker
    IM a little late noticing this thread but I was at the Blue Water when that happened. The Daytona was parked in the lot next to my rig when I went out for dinner at the Mex. Restaurant in town Tuesday late afternoon / night. When I went out on the balcony Wednesday morning the hotel security and all the looky loos crowded around the slip watching the diver.
    I never heard if he launched at night or early in the morning or why it sunk. I was guessing the obvious, Didn’t put in the plug, The plug leaked, Went for a night ride and hit something or worst of all a jackass prankster pulled his plug. Seen that happen to 6 boats in a row one time at Lone Rock beach one summer. They tried to pull the plug on our boat too but it does not come out so they unhooked the bow anchor. I was lucky the did not undo the stern anchor.
    RD If anyone asked it sounds like you wouldent know anything about those no wake boys would you.

Cattitude
    We had a newb get swamped in a 21 Daytona a few weeks ago. Cruiser wake got him. I suspect he never saw it coming or did not know enough about how to handle it. I know he had just bought it two wks before because I talked with him while filling up (Not a lot of Daytona's on our lake)
    About 10 yrs ago a friend had a 21' checkmate sink in a storm while docked. If that was not bad enough, the boat next to him became loose, drifted over on top of him (2 boats to a 20' wide slip) and pounded his boat into the rocky lake bottom. Luckliy he was well insured, ended up with a nice new lid and makeover from checkmate.