Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Turbine vs. Berkeley Impellers

El Prosecutor
    I need to purchase a replacement real soon for a shredded Berkely "A" impeller. Will go in a 12JC Pump powered by mild 455 Olds.
    Comparably priced rebuild kits are available with American Turbine and Berkeley impellers. :argue: Any recommendations?
    I would love a boost in performance, but am more concerned with longevity of the pump.
    Anybody tell me WHY one is better than the other???
    [Also, I am planning on a shouldered wear ring unless somebody convinces me otherwise]

IMPATIENT 1
    hollar at squirtin thunder, he has the low down on both and i think he had a damn good sale goin on berk stuff. i was told a berk bowl had to be modified to accept a a.t. impellor.maybe wrong here though.

Duane HTP
    ATJ impellers are of fine quality, EVERY TIME!! Probably the best on the market. They are made in an investment casting type process and don't have the core shift problems of the others. The longevity of them is excellent. To say an ATJ impeller will not fit a Berkeley is incorrect. They make them to fit both Berkeley and ATJ. The one they make for the Berkeley pump does not have the stuffer ring on the back side of it. The one they make to fit the Dom and ATJ pumps does have it. However, the stuffer ring can be machined off, and they will still fit a Berkeley. I can not think of one good reason you would not want to run a shouldered wear ring. It's just later, improved technology.

IMPATIENT 1
    ATJ impellers are of fine quality, EVERY TIME!! Probably the best on the market. They are made in an investment casting type process and don't have the core shift problems of the others. The longevity of them is excellent. To say an ATJ impeller will not fit a Berkeley is incorrect. They make them to fit both Berkeley and ATJ. The one they make for the Berkeley pump does not have the stuffer ring on the back side of it. The one they make to fit the Dom and ATJ pumps does have it. However, the stuffer ring can be machined off, and they will still fit a Berkeley. I can not think of one good reason you would not want to run a shouldered wear ring. It's just later, improved technology.
    duane, does the at impellor for berk fill that gap where the stuffer would go?i didn't know they made one for berks.are they pricey with a matched ring?

Squirtin Thunder
    AT pumps and impellers are good quality. But I will say that the Berek has been around for a long time. I have been running off the shelf Berk impellers. They work real good for me. Now how old is your pump right now ??? 25 years old that seems to be good stuff.

IMPATIENT 1
    AT pumps and impellers are good quality. But I will say that the Berek has been around for a long time. I have been running off the shelf Berk impellers. They work real good for me. Now how old is your pump right now ??? 25 years old that seems to be good stuff.
    i was thinkin that too. my berk has only been rebuilt once,4yrs ago. i tore it down last spring and it looked good,just the occassional scuff on the wearing surfaces.

Duane HTP
    duane, does the at impeller for berk fill that gap where the stuffer would go?
    The ATJ Impeller made for the Berkeley pump fits it same as a Berkeley impeller would.
    didn't know they made one for berks.are they pricey with a matched ring?
    They are the same price.
    Also, I am not knocking the Berkeley impellers. They're good. I was just answering the question asked about the ATJ impellers.

IMPATIENT 1
    i just wanted to say thanks to squirtin thunder and duane for the great advise this past yr..i've learned alot from you guys and my taylor hauls ass now because of it.

Taylorman
    To fill the stuffer area you have to use an atj bowl and impeller. Like Duane said, the atj impeller has a stuffer rind on it which fits into the atj bowl.

El Prosecutor
    Now I gotta throw Agressor into the mix. Any experiences/informed opinions on Agressor impellers?
    I am starting to think that with a mild setup like I am running (12JC / Mild 455 Olds) it won't make much difference in the long run as long as it is assembled correctly and maintained properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast