Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you ever consider buying a boat...

ROZ
    that has a bad water pump? Is there a way that the owner could have known it was bad without him having the motor overheat on him? Same tell tale signs as a car? Bearing noise, Gauges, buzzer, etc.? Boat listed at a good price, but I'd hate to get into a hole right off the bat. After a season or 2 okay, but not right away
    Audio/Video I know....Boat cooling system, I don't.
    Any input and all input is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris
    [ August 25, 2002, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

rivercrazy
    I wouldn't ROZ. I bet the motor has been overheated. That's all bad. eek!

gnarley
    Tell him to change the pump & then take it out for the full test if the seller is willing to back up his good intention & if you really want it have a survey done.

78Eliminator
    I would consider it, then decide no way......

79Hawaiian
    If the boat is cheap enough and building a new motor is still cost effective it may be worth it since you will know what you really have verses what you are told you have. I think everyone has gone through that song and dance... "Oh yeah, its real strong and I always changed the oil and yada..yada..yada..." Come to find out you have to build the thing anyways.

Hustler
    ROZ, you could always have someone do a compression check on each hole and a pressure check on the cooling system

chaparral2350sx
    Roz
    Let me tell you a short story. I Purchased a boat and the guy said the boat had a water pump noise. Okay I say just a water pump, boat was very clean and had a new interior. So I bought It this is where the story gets short. $3000 later after the motor rebuild because of a burned piston posibly caused by the a hot motor but later dertermined to be a bad carb was the real culprit. Moral of the story there is somthing else wrong the boat beware!

77charger
    I myself would due to the fact that i can rebuild motors myself.But would be hesitant if i didnt know how to and in this case a compression check would be a good idea.On another note if it was an aluminum headed motor i would shine on it.(aluminum heads can warp easily under high heat)

shockwavebd
    run the boat in the water then check the oil for water. .... blownin head gasket

502procharger
    i just went through something like this. i was looking for a motor to build and found one on e-bay that had been overheated due to the fact that the water line came off of the sea water pump and the motor got really hot. i was planning on re-building the motor anyway, but needed advise on if people thought it was worth the chance that the heat had ruined all or most of the block and internal parts. it tured out that i got a amazing deal, not only was most of the internals still good, but the cmi headers that were suposed to be cracked ended up being fine. the water got into the motor through a blown head gasket. i took everyones advise from this forum and used it to help me decide what to do. i trusted my gut and checked many of the things these guys on this forum told me to and ended up with a great deal. trust your gut. good luck with whatever you decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast