Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: prop selection

IT'SONLYMONEY
    i have a 27 advantage with a 454merc mpi with the bravo one out drive and need help on the prop selection. she came with a four blade 22pitch prop and would not plane out at all. complete dog in the water. advantage says she should move at 65mph with that prop on her. never saw it. i moved down to a 21pitch three blade which help her get out of the water better but she will only do 52mph at full throtle at about 4800 or 5000rpm. thinking about going to a 20picth to jump her out of the water and be right at the rev limiter doing about 50 or 52mph still. does any of this sound correct or am i off completely. it's just to small of an engine for that size boat basically i know. but i'm just looking a comforatable family cruiser that doesn't take a year to plane out.
    thanks
    chuck

Whipped Caliber
    Take your prop and have some cup put in it. It will lift better.

rivercrazy
    is that the merc 454 mpi 310hp or the magnum motor that is rated for 385hp?
    Your speed sounds low. Is the motor tight & fresh? How many hours are on it?

IT'SONLYMONEY
    is that the merc 454 mpi 310hp or the magnum motor that is rated for 385hp?
    Your speed sounds low. Is the motor tight & fresh? How many hours are on it?
    the boat only has 200hrs. it's a 2000 and is as nice as the day it came of the show room. i take anal care of my stuff. the speed does sound wrong you are right. it's the 454 mag mpi 385. what should i do. thought about compression checking the engine. she runs like a top though. just put on a k&n flame arrester too. want to do the pipes but have to wait for money.

rivercrazy
    With that motor, your boat should be breaking into the low 60's. Something is not quite right with something. Engine down on power, x diminsion off, damaged prop, excessive bottom hook, etc. Have the engine checked out by a certified merc mechanic

spectras only
    I assume your boat is at least 4500 * loaded . A 27' boat with swim platform included , should have big power or two small blocks for decent holeshot. Unless you upgrade for more HP ,changing props only will not help you much . I guess you have 1.5 ratio now in the drive , I would change the ratio to 1.65 and try a Bravo1 24 , or a 26 if the boat responds well .

IT'SONLYMONEY
    With that motor, your boat should be breaking into the low 60's. Something is not quite right with something. Engine down on power, x diminsion off, damaged prop, excessive bottom hook, etc. Have the engine checked out by a certified merc mechanic
    i even checked the throtle cable thinking it wasn't opening the secondary but everything checks out. i am the second owner so who knows, maybe this is why the guy gave me such a good deal. other than that the boat has no damage on anything. it's only been beached 3times in the five years. i'll just have to take her in. i want to go to advantage, but it's 5.5hrs away.

IT'SONLYMONEY
    I assume your boat is at least 4500 * loaded . A 27' boat with swim platform included , should have big power or two small blocks for decent holeshot. Unless you upgrade for more HP ,changing props only will not help you much . I guess you have 1.5 ratio now in the drive , I would change the ratio to 1.65 and try a Bravo1 24 , or a 26 if the boat responds well .
    are gears expensive. it wouldn't even turn a four 22picth

Beer-30
    are gears expensive. it wouldn't even turn a four 22picth
    There should be no reason to change gears. Hopefully, someone else here has the same setup as you and will chime in. 385HP is plenty for that hull and should be spinning a 22 four-blade just fine. You can't have your prop back, though!
    I would look at ignition. Being a 2000, it's probably time for a cap, rotor, plugs and wires. If nothing else, you would at least know they were all good, as you don't know when the previous owner did that. During this, with all the plugs out, good time to do the comp test.

IT'SONLYMONEY
    There should be no reason to change gears. Hopefully, someone else here has the same setup as you and will chime in. 385HP is plenty for that hull and should be spinning a 22 four-blade just fine. You can't have your prop back, though!
    I would look at ignition. Being a 2000, it's probably time for a cap, rotor, plugs and wires. If nothing else, you would at least know they were all good, as you don't know when the previous owner did that. During this, with all the plugs out, good time to do the comp test.
    i might just bight the bullet and buy an msd setup. nothing fancy, just enough to help out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast