Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miners last notes to family...

Phat Matt
    It would suck to have to write this note but I guess it would give a little more peace.
    This letter released by the Toler family on Thursday Jan. 5, 2006 in Flatwoods, W. Va was written by Martin Toler Jr., who died with 11 other miners in the Sago mine. The note was given to Martin's brother, Tom Toler, by the coroner. It reads 'Tell all I see them on the other side JR I love you It wasn't bad just went to sleep'
    http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg....wvck111.jpg?x= 299&y=345&sig=LZzX_CzDJ8kEsweD.aYRAA--

HocusPocus
    sounds like he was more worried about his family then he was himself.. trying to give them some peace of mind. that would be a tough letter to have to write.

pixilatedpussy
    So sad!

Mrs.Racer277
    That is so sad. God Speed to all.

hoolign
    it's hard to believe that in this day of age, we don't have another means of machine labor to do this mining (rather than human labor). i know nothing about mining, but it seems real primative and dangerous :220v: - keyes
    I have quite a few friends that are miners, and while the equipment ( in some circumstances) does the heavy work, the need for human interaction is still required. Coal mines are still by far the worse as it's a very unstable element.

Phat Matt
    I don't know jack shit about mining either but wouldn't it be simple to line the mines with pipe to pump in oxygen from out side and keep a flow of the bad shit going out? I mean, if you layed it on the ground, even in the event of a cave in it would still pump clean air in? It sounds simple, but what do I know? Maybe they already do that and it just didn't work???

hoolign
    I don't know jack shit about mining either but wouldn't it be simple to line the mines with pipe to pump in oxygen from out side and keep a flow of the bad shit going out? I mean, if you layed it on the ground, even in the event of a cave in it would still pump clean air in? It sounds simple, but what do I know? Maybe they already do that and it just didn't work???
    Most deep mines do have as supply and a vent line ( both forced) but in a cave in it aint gonna matter. The lines are not on the ground they are suspended from the mine ceiling, but again..once the ceiling collapses.the lines are crushed. Evacuation vents in some mines which run from the shaft to surface are only good if the cave in is near one.

Sane Asylum
    Damn that's sad........

OutCole'd
    So sad.

Phat Matt
    Most deep mines do have as supply and a vent line ( both forced) but in a cave in it aint gonna matter. The lines are not on the ground they are suspended from the mine ceiling, but again..once the ceiling collapses.the lines are crushed. Evacuation vents in some mines which run from the shaft to surface are only good if the cave in is near one.
    So why wouldn't you lay them on the ground so they don't break in a cave in?
    We can figure out how to build a 31 mile tunnel under the English Channel, but we can't figure out how to safely pump air into a mine shaft. I still don't get it. It has to be a cost thing. There is no way it is not possible to make them safer in my mind, but then again, what do I know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast