Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help With My Backfiring/Stumbling/Stall Problems

I don't know the specifics of your setup, but one thing stood out. You now have a full electronic system, but you're still running the ballast resistor. Is that suggected by MSD? Normally on a converted system, the resistor is eliminated (no points). From a diagnostic point of view, most heat/ time sensitive problems are electrical. Voltage drop can also cause what you are experiencing. A discharge situation with a hot engine (increased load on the ignition) will shut down many boxes. Make sure the voltage to your box isn't droppping. Froggy could be right about the terminals. Once you pinpoint the reason the symptom exists, the fix is normally quick and easy.

Hallett19
    Roost, I havent run the MSD setup yet, but MSD does not require a ballast resistor with a 6A box, so that will be deleted once I install my MSD components. I dont have tank vents, that I know of. Would corrosion in the tank cause this problem ? I think it would cause it at all speeds temps and conditions, but that is not the case, although I will not say there is no corrosion in there, but if that was causing any problems right now, it would cause them all the time, not only when its hot. I have 2 fuel filters, a big water seperating after the pump and a clear inline filter before the carb and in the clear filter, there is no setiment or crud of any kind. I still want to say electric, and its unfortunate that I am hunting with my wallet but at least I have all new parts on a motor that is older than I am, that and I'm rich bitch !!!

HalletDave
    Hallett19
    The clear see-thru filters may not be allowing enough fuel under high demand. I had a problem with those type in a 425HP 460 Ford in a 1979 Bronco conversion. Under cruise conditions the see-thru worked fine but under demand, pulling the boat up a grade it caused the same symptoms as vapor lock. Try a good canister type filter (s)
    and see if it makes a difference.
    HD

If you cut out after 30-45 minutes and restart when it cools, it's not fuel. Are you still running points/condenser now? If so, convert it ASAP, and don't waste any more time trying to fix a setup you are changing.

Hallett19
    Roost, its converted to a Petronix elec pickup ... Now that piece could be failing on me, so who knows, but it was installed by the builder and has worked fine up until now. Like I said, it is my impression that electronics and heat dont mix, that is why I want to mount my voltage regulator and coil further from the motor, they are currently both mounted on the block.
    And Hallett Dave, I have fuel pressure at all times, around 61/2 lbs. Should this fluxuate at all ? I have a edelbrock victor pump and holley regulator. If the distributor and MSD dont fix this problem, its an electrical fuel pump I go.
    [ July 14, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

Now it makes sense. I have Pertronix in 2 boats and my 68. When I first put the Ignitor II in my 68, it would run about 20 minutes, then start misfiring and stall. Cool down, then refire. Sound familiar? I replaced it under warranty, no problem since.

Hallett19
    We might have a winner !!! Lets hope the MSD dist and MSD 6A fixes it.
    [ July 14, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

roostwear:
    Now it makes sense. I have Pertronix in 2 boats and my 68. When I first put the Ignitor II in my 68, it would run about 20 minutes, then start misfiring and stall. Cool down, then refire. Sound familiar? I replaced it under warranty, no problem since. I've had two Ignitors fail, both caused crapping out under load and hard starting.

Hallett19
    I'm starting to feel real good about this !! Shouldnt jinx myself though ...

Hotcrusader76
    Hallett19:
    I'm starting to feel real good about this !! Shouldnt jinx myself though ... If it does will you owe me a case of beer Aaron?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast