Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please Help With My Backfiring/Stumbling/Stall Problems

spectras only
    FYI , I've run my 20' spectra for 26 yrs with the ancient point ign system with only one downtime.It was the breaker wire from the coil [replaced it 10 min ].Now my buddy runs it with the pertronix ignitor and experiencing similar problem as Hallett19. I've removed the cap and found the pertronix reluctor causing the rotor to be sitting too high on the distributor shaft and causing the rotor to be very sloppy with the retainer spring clip in it being too light, further causing chipping the corner of the rotor by hitting the posts.I'm not saying this is the trouble for sure,but would make sure the rotor sits firmly on the shaft. The reluctor can be machined on the inside to let the rotor sit a bit lower to get the wobble out.Some retainer springs [in older rotors] are firmer than the new rotors have nowdays.Just my .02 cdn Ps; my MSD system works great , but the minute it gives me problems I'm converting to magneto
    [ July 14, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

Hallett19
    Hotcrusader76:
    If it does will you owe me a case of beer Aaron? Nope, 5K rpms will fetch ya a case of beer

Hotcrusader76
    spectras only:
    FYI , I've run my 20' spectra for 26 yrs with the ancient point ign system with only one downtime.It was the breaker wire from the coil [replaced it 10 min ].Now my buddy runs it with the pertronix ignitor and experiencing similar problem as Hallett19. I've removed the cap and found the pertronix reluctor causing the rotor to be sitting too high on the distributor shaft and causing the rotor to be very sloppy with the retainer spring clip in it being too light, further causing chipping the corner of the rotor by hitting the posts.I'm not saying this is the trouble for sure,but would make sure the rotor sits firmly on the shaft. The reluctor can be machined on the inside to let the rotor sit a bit lower to get the wobble out.Some retainer springs [in older rotors] are firmer than the new rotors have nowdays.Just my .02 cdn Ps; my MSD system works great , but the minute it gives me problems I'm converting to magneto Funny things is, I noticed the same when I pulled the cap off at Martinez. It seems ok for the time, but I am sure that's what was eating it away.
    Wow....so where is Pertronix on this whole deal..LOL

Hotcrusader76
    Hallett19:
    Hotcrusader76:
    If it does will you owe me a case of beer Aaron? Nope, 5K rpms will fetch ya a case of beer Well then you'll need me behind the wheel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123