Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 455 Build...

Flip
    I thought I'd post up a "build log" of my 455. I had a streak of bad luck last year with bottom ends. By posting up this build I was hoping that if anyone saw something out of place they could chime in. That and it gives me something else to do.
    Anyways, still kind of rookie when it comes to engine building so other than "Put a Chevy/Ford in it", your guys input is welcome. I've done a few builds before but have always had someone holding my hand.
    Some specs... everything was balanced and blueprinted
    Block:
    .60 over, line bored, magnafluxed, Mondello main oil restrictors
    Crank:
    10/10, magnafluxed, cross-drilled and chamfered, main bearings slotted
    Pistons and rods:
    Forged Speed Pro L2323 (dished), moly rings, stock rods-cleaned, magnafluxed, and resized, ARP bolts.
    Heads:
    Stock Ka's with drain back mod.
    Cam:
    COMP Cams 280/280 dur. .490/.490 lift
    Clearances:
    Main bearing-.003
    Rod bearing-.0025
    Piston/cylinder-.0035
    Other stuff:
    HV oil pump, 10qt Hardin pan (thanks Wet Dream), Torker intake, Holley 4160 715 cfm carb (for now), stock HEI ignition
    Time for some pics: *Click on pics for larger version*
    http://www.blazerclub.com/pics/4552th.jpg (http://www.blazerclub.com/pics/4552.jpg)
    http://www.blazerclub.com/pics/4553th.jpg (http://www.blazerclub.com/pics/4553.jpg)

Flip
    Tonight I set the crank in. I had previously checked the clearances with Plastigauge just to get and idea of how close to spec they were. The mains were pretty much uniformly dead on at .003.
    I put all the main caps on and ran the bolts in just to seat the caps (no torque). Per an article (http://www.mondellotwister.com/Art455OldsTG.htm) on Mondello's site I checked the thrust bearing clearance. It says there's supposed to be .004 to .010 clearance. I'm guessing that's front AND back? So, .004 on one side and .004 also on the other? Also, should I have that clearance all the way around the journal? If you're looking at the crank from the front (motor upside down obviously) I can get a .004 feeler in at 3 o'clock on the front but not on the back and vice versa and neither a 12 o'clock. Maybe I just need to start tightening things down and recheck as I go. Maybe the crank is sitting a bit wonky without a bit of torque on the caps?

capt.murph
    LOOKIN GOOD I TO IM GETTING READY TO DO THIS .WHERE DID U ORDER YOUR PISTONS ETC.(I AM LOKING AT SUMMIT OR JEGS)DID U DO THE DRAIN LINES FROM THE HEADS OR DID U HAVE A MACHINE SHOP DO THEM.I AM GETTING READY TO DO MY REBUILD AND ALREADY NERVOUS (LOL)AND TO TOP IT OFF MY FIANCEE THROWS A WAY MY HOT BOAT OLDS BIBLE KEEP US INFORMED ON YOUR PROGRESS AND GOOD LUCK

Flip
    LOOKIN GOOD I TO IM GETTING READY TO DO THIS .WHERE DID U ORDER YOUR PISTONS ETC.(I AM LOKING AT SUMMIT OR JEGS)DID U DO THE DRAIN LINES FROM THE HEADS OR DID U HAVE A MACHINE SHOP DO THEM.I AM GETTING READY TO DO MY REBUILD AND ALREADY NERVOUS (LOL)AND TO TOP IT OFF MY FIANCEE THROWS A WAY MY HOT BOAT OLDS BIBLE KEEP US INFORMED ON YOUR PROGRESS AND GOOD LUCK
    Got all my parts from Summit. Me and friend did the drain lines. They go from the back of the head to the sides of the pan. That sucks about the mag. Just do what just did and order the back issue for $10.
    I'm pretty nervous about my build too. After building 2 motors last year only to have them fail, my wife said that if this one bites the dust too we're just gonna set the boat on fire! :skull:

myoung
    Looking good mang.

NautiII
    Lookin real good. my motor is a 455 as well, with all the same mods you have, and it runs great! keep us posted!! oh, and with the oil drain backs that I have on mine, I opted not to do the oil restrictors. no oil issues either.

Taylorman
    It may be just an illustion in the picture but it looks like you did not put the restrictors in the mains deep enough. Did you push them down to the point where the two oil galleys intersect? Also, read last months article in Hot boat on Olds mods. Engine looks good. There is a mod that you should do on the rear main cap for the oil pump that is in this article. If you are putting a new cam in it, make sure to use either Rotella diesel oil or Comp cams oil additive in your oil when you break in the cam. This is EXTREMELY important or you could ruin the cam. For the thrust clearance, you need to torque down the caps and give it a couple of good hits with a rubber mallet front and back then check it with a dial indicator to see how much it moves. Take a big flat screwdriver or prybar and move it to see how much TOTAL movement you have from front to rear. I think, no positive, it should be between .005 and .020. Are you using restrictors somewhere in the top like restricted pushrods?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Looking real good. That thing shouldnt have any problems. Keep us informed....

455Rocket
    I suggest beefy mag rods... stockers are really wimpy. Speaking from experence :boxed:

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast