Thread: low oil pressure?

bergen
    i just started going over boat, last year when i put the boat away for winter i had a problem with oil pressure, boat is a sanger jet hydro /460 stock with tunnel ram and 750 dbl pumpers, b4 i used 2 have 65 to 70 psi @ idle,
    now @ idle its like 5 psi, i took boat out today, when i cruise the highest the oil pressure go's up to is like 25 psi @ 3,900 rpm i changed the oil yesterday(wed) oil looked fine, what give's? thanks bergen.

Hallett19
    Did you change the oil before you went out ? If not you could have run some really bad oil through the system and ground the bearings down enough to wipe them out. The chances of this is slim, but not none.
    More than likley its the gauge, I'd put a mechanical on it (if you dont have one) if you think the gauge is bad, that will tell you exatcly where your oil psi is.

1975sleekcraft
    put a manual gauge right on your motor-where your oil sender unit is now.
    my money is on the gauge.
    good luck!

james
    i just started going over boat, last year when i put the boat away for winter i had a problem with oil pressure, boat is a sanger jet hydro /460 stock with tunnel ram and 750 dbl pumpers, b4 i used 2 have 65 to 70 psi @ idle,
    now @ idle its like 5 psi, i took boat out today, when i cruise the highest the oil pressure go's up to is like 25 psi @ 3,900 rpm i changed the oil yesterday(wed) oil looked fine, what give's? thanks bergen.
    I had the same promblem in January before I rebuilt the motor. The engine was put together wrong in the first place resulting in a flatened cam lobe and actualy puched a hole through the bottom of the lifter and was stopping all oil presure at that busted lifter starving the rest of the top end. In result at 4000 rpm got 23psi. Check the sender then the guage. If you get the same results I would pull the manifold and look at the cam and lifters. Also check Rockers for right ajustment.