Thread: big block chevy rpm help

245 LIMITED
    ok i got to ask you guys now since im out of ideas. im still kicking myself for selling my hydro, but ill have a new one this winter...... here is my problem .... i bought a chris craft 245 24.5 ft boat has new 454 .30 over in it. the pistons are 8:1 and has a gale banks twin turbo set up on it. engine has about 4 hours on it built by tony ottos speed shop in suisun city and are known throughout the states. the bouat shoots out of the hole then at 3100 rpm about 1/2 throttle if you give it more to wot you get nothing. no rpm no speed nada.. OBNOXIOS1 has been givint me tech stuff but so far no go. total boost for the turbos is about 4lb. im about ready to sink the son of a bitch or scrap the new engine and buy another im so frustrated. but id rather fix if i can ........any sugestions???

colechillin
    Sink the son of a bitch!!!

obnoxious001
    You need to go back and double check all the "little" stuff. Make sure the foot (or hand) throttle is opening the carb all the way. You can do that while it is not running, but probably will take a 2nd person to hold the throttle while you inspect the butterflies. Do both sides of the carb deliver fuel? You have verified the flloat level? What is the fuel pressure,,,,, at 3100 rpm? 4 lbs of boost should be making some power,, and should be about as much as that particular package makes. Possibly 5 or maybe 6 lbs. I don't recall if you told me which ignition you have, but maybe swap a different ignition coil if you can. I have had coils work fine to a certain rpm and then the engine goes completely flat. Same could be true with bad spark plugs, but yours should be new? How did the boat run before you had it rebuilt? How big is the prop? Did you double check all the purosil (blue) hose connections to make sure they could not be leaking? I don't think you have a very severe problem, and if you had checked to make sure both turbos were spinning freely, I don't see the turbos as being a problem, especially since the gauge is showing boost.

PSI Racing
    Obnoxious hit it on the head.My question would be what carb are you using?In my neck of the woods the ones I have seen are Q-jet in a box.If the secondary air door is set too tight it will cause exactly the problem you are describing.Being too tight will not let the engine signal open the air door and boost pressure holds it shut.The box it's in can also ballon and leak causing some of the same symptoms.Hope this helps.

245 LIMITED
    ok i been in boat all day ..... i am almost done getting the specs on spark gap and so fourth. i knew OBNOXIOUS1 was very smart with this and has been alot of help. thanks dudes. i was told boat hit 4300 rpm and was still pulling when they were tuning boat. some how i dont believe it but who knows . i ordered a new ignition and a guage for fuel pressure. ill check as soon as those parts come in . o by the way i saw the new f-34 DCB is putting out a guy bought one and made me droole till he paid 230k for it. all i could say was id love to have one but rather have a v-drive.... thanks dudes