Thread: MDF finishing Q

Tom Brown
    I'm working on an MDF project that I want to paint. I'll be using DuPont ChromaBase black and 7900S clear.
    I've always covered with wood veneer in the past. I'm OK with a paint gun so I thought it would be no big deal but something is happening that's causing the joints to print through.
    I built the boxes, filled the joints, sanded everything perfectly flat, primed... sanded out with 600 grit and let stabalize for a couple of days before shooting color.
    When I came back, I could see some of the joints, so I filled again, sanded back with 220, primed... sanded out with 600 grit... and let sit for a couple of days again.
    The joints are back.
    It's not that they're huge caverns that look hideous but I want the project to look perfect. It's going to be painted gloss black (at least, mostly) so it won't be very forgiving.
    I've painted lots of fiberglass and metal in my day so this has thrown me for a bit of a loop. I wasn't expecting it.
    Some of you guys must have run into this. I would appreciate any advice you might offer.
    The next thing I'm contemplating is shooting DuPont's 1144 epoxy filler/primer. That seems like gross overkill for a half dozen speaker boxes and a few stands, though. It's all for indoor use.

ROZ
    How many coats of paint did you spray? I shot some paint grade cabinets about 8 times (sanded in between, for why I 'll never know) before I was satisfied...

YeLLowBoaT
    Just a little FYI you NEVER sand bare MDF. I do alot work with MDF. If your joints are just but joints, you will never get them to go away. You Really need to cut rabbits for all the joints.

Tom Brown
    Thanks, YB. I did not know this when I started the project.
    I'm going to see if a bunch of coats of epoxy filler/primer will handle it. If not, I'll put up with a sleightly imperfect finish.
    One of the things a guy on another board told me yesterday is to leave the project under a heat lamp for a couple of weeks. I'm going to give that a try.
    The guy who told me is a fairly accomplished builder. Check some of his work:
    http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrow...nk/curvey4.jpg
    http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrow...nk/curvey5.jpg
    http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrow...nk/curvey6.jpg
    Curvey speakers (http://groups.msn.com/aaronsspeakers/shoebox.msnw)

Tom Brown
    Try shooting with a high build primer like Featherfill G2.
    I used a similar product, DuPont 1104 filler/primer. It covered beautifully.
    If my camera wasn't at Canon service having dust cleaned from the sensor, I'd post up some pics. These cabinets turned out pretty sweet.
    Thanks for the help, gents.

Cheap Thrills
    Nice cabs Tom ! What are you loading them with ?
    Nice looking rack the Behringer gear gave me a boner :2purples:
    C.T. :wink:

Tom Brown
    Nice cabs Tom ! What are you loading them with ?
    Thanks. Those cabinets in the pictures are fantastic with amazing workmanship.
    ... but I didn't build them.
    The cabinets I'm building aren't curvey like that and I doubt anyone here will have heard of most of the components I'm using.
    Hiquphon OW1 3/4" soft dome tweeters
    GR Research 5.5" M130 mid woofer
    Peerless 850146 CSC-X 10" woofer
    Dennis Murphy designed 2nd order networks

ROZ
    GR Research 5.5" M130 mid woofer
    Guns and Roses makes speakers ?