Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SKOM Motor Build

Some Kind Of Monster
    The new motor is going together nicely. I thought I would post some of the parts/process here for reference. Feel free to make any comments.
    454 4 bolt main block .30 over bore, honed, decked, line checked, hot tanked, cleaned, deburred, and ready to go! I have brass freeze plugs put in, but I am thinking of changing to something removble so I can clean the block out occasionally. Is there such a thing? Oil plugs have also been installed.
    Crank is turned, deburred, balanced, cleaned and installed. I'm showing .003 clearance on the mains when torqued to 110. All the mains are dead on. Crank travel is around .007 and it spins real smooth.
    Cam is a Crower (not my original choice, but we'll see what it does) 290HDP. It features Advertised intake duration 290deg lift .524, exhaust 302deg lift .536 (Duration @ .050 = Intale 232deg, exh 242deg.... Lobe lift Intake .308, Exh .315). Lobe seperation 108deg.
    The cam is installed and feels real nice.
    Pistons are SRP Forged 212135 open chamber domed. Comp ratio should be just below 11:1 with these. These have been deburred, cleaned, checked for clearance (.0050 - .0055), Rings have been checked, filed, and gapped at .018 and .022, and installed.
    Rods are machined and ready to go. I torqued the new rod bolts down and used to rod cap seperator to pull the caps back off. The tool had a hell of a time getting those suckers off. They are very tight. How much effort should it take to get them off?
    All my machine work is done. I only have assembly to go. I will post my progress and what machine work was done as I go. This will serve as an idiot check so I am sure I get everyhting done right too!
    *update
    The Edelbrock Performer 2-0 intake has new stainless plugs installed. The surface that the carb rests on was slightly askew so I took it for a pass on the mill and fixed it right up. I previously gasket matched and cleaned up the casting flashes inside the intake so it is ready to roll.
    I did a full port job on the heads. I opened the intakes up to match the felpro gaskets, and cleaned up the internal intake casting flashes (or seams) that were really nasty. I was really able to open these suckers up a lot, and clean up a lot of slop in there. I smoothed everything up, and left it a little rough as recommended for better fuel atomization. I also ported and polished the entire exhaust portions to prevent carbonization. I got it real smooth and nice. Next I polished the combustion chamber to prevent carbon, and detonation. I also cleaned up the water ports to prevent clogs etc and promote better travel of water through the heads. Overall this all took me about 12 hours to complete all the tasks. I don't have access to a flow bench, but I am satisfied with the results. These heads are dead flat, and have a 3 angle valve job. Time to assemble!
    The block now has the arms and pistons installed. All clearances were checked, and double checked and all check out good. The new timing set went on, and was calibrated to TDC and is now dead on. I also installed the windage tray that is included with my Dooley marine oil pan. Everything was torqued, and retorqued.
    I have a brand new 750 carb (thanks 460 ways) ready to sit on top of it all. I also have an 850 to play with and see what kind of results I get.
    I have this ongoing debate with my machinist as to qhich oil pump to use. I insist that I need a hi volume and he insists I should use the standard. I know not to use a hi vol on an Olds, but shouldn't I ALWAYS use this on my Chevy?
    Heads pre polishing
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0924061127.jpg
    Heads Post Porting
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0924061128.jpg
    Valves
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0924061130.jpg
    My Goodies
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...924061130a.jpg
    Assembled
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0924061419.jpg
    Ready to go!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0924061420.jpg
    Head numbers
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0924061501.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
    Getting my rods back apart after having a local racing machinist put my new ARP bolts in over a year ago was a real mother. Those wave-locs were TIGHT!

junkyardhunter
    what heads are you going to run,sound like your almost ready run

Some Kind Of Monster
    Update added to the first post!
    Yea yeah, I'm coming along slow, but the motor is a real piece of art IMO

My book talks alittle about the oil pumps, basically saying the stock pump is all you'll ever need as long as you blue print it even for most hi pref applications. I have no real world experience with this but i bought a hi volume pump and plan on using it.
    Where's the pics!!

cfm
    OOps - sorry - responded to wrong thread.

Nucking futs
    What size combustion chabers and with what heads? Im running the same pistons just .060 over with 119 cc com. chamber and im at 9.96 with a zero deck. I assume you have angle milled heads????
    Build looks good,but you might want to start with the 850 and work up from there. I tried a 850 and it killed the performance and the twin 650's went back on with a 400rpm gain.Im running pro top line heads. mine made 627 H.P. at 5800

Some Kind Of Monster
    Finally fixed the lack of pictures! Those are 119 cc chambers as well. I figured I would be going up to a dual quad setup in the near future, but hopefully the 850 will hold me for awhile. Getting close!

Some Kind Of Monster
    Got the hull cleaned up and ready to go again. It's been sitting awhile so it still needs a little work, but not much.
    I put the heads on last weekend and checked for valve clearance and piston to head clearance. Looks real good. Also checked that the rollers on the rockers are contacting the valves in the proper location. Looks dead on. Also checked the oil pan for clearance which also looks good. My Dooly pan came with a goofy oil pickup with a screen that doesn't look as good as a stock pickup to me. Does anyone know about these? I'll try to get a pic here soon.
    Hey 396: I think I got my axle to work. I rewelded the axle and turned it down so it looks like it is going to work ok. Those morons at the autozone on Country Club looked into space when I told them what bearing I wanted so I went to your guy on Broadway and they pulled the right one for me. Looks real nice.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Looking good billy. I have a friend that might need some computer work. Ill letcha know
    Roll up to bartlett this weekend, you can ride in my rig

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast