Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon Rebel XT camera

Beer-30
    Just got one. Reading all about it. So many options/settings. First pro-type camera.
    Anyone have one? Tricks, tips, other?

77charger
    Cant go wrong with a dig slr i have a rebel dslr and love it.
    The camera will only be as good as you are.Learn to use the manula modes and semi manual vs the auto you will get better pics and experiment and learn since you dont use film but a flash card.Try different settings with the camera to see how pics come out.
    I like to use the av mode setting with my 75-300 lens anyhere from a 8-14 f stop(or aperture) on sunny days.But also like to keep shutter speed at least 250 and up for action shots.If a cloudy day you can bump the iso up to 400 which is better for low light but higher the iso the grainier a pic can look so keep it as low as you can i have gone to 1600 here and there(max) for indoors.If it is a cloudy day and i am doing motorsports i bump to 200 or 400 so i can still get a fast shutter speed and still use atleast an 8 f stop on my 75-300 lens vs a sunny day when i can get the same with a 100 iso setting.The TV mode on the dial also works good you pick the shutter speed you want and it sets the appropiate f stop for the conditions too
    Read the instructions good and play like i said that camera has alot of potential just need to know how to use it.Many buy the 20d or better thinking they have a superior camera but dont have the brains to use it to its full potential and get lousy pics vs a skilled user on a lesser camera

Beer-30
    Will do. Thanks.

77charger
    forgot to add above mentioned is for mainly outdoors.In low light indoors in the av mode you want to use the lowest number possible 3.5-4 unless you have a better lens and slower shutter speeds.
    I usually just use the auto mode(green square)or the P mode (for this you have to manually turn on flash) for use indoors or at night time I tend to get consistent pics in the P mode as far as exposure goes.

6 balls
    Just bought one for my wife... chose this one because we can use the lenses that we had already purchased for her Rebel SLR camera (35mm).
    I tried it out at our daughters swim meet last weekend. The sports mode with continuous shooting (3 frames per second) worked awesome.
    No delay like the old digital, perfect for capturing and freezing the action!
    image (resized only)
    http://members.cox.net/dla/images/tlafree.jpg
    image full resolution (cropped)
    http://members.cox.net/dla/images/tlafreefullres1.jpg

phebus
    That brings up a question, can you use older Canon lense with the new digital Canon SLR's, and have full capabilities?

6 balls
    Yes, they are compatible with all the Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

phebus
    I have a few nice Canon lenses. Going out to the garage to see if they are
    EF or EF-S.

Ultra21
    I've been looking at these cameras and they look very nice but I've been seeing prices range all over the place. I know it depends on the lense selection but even when you look at Best Buy compared to others the body is anywhere from $459 to $899. what am I missing and does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy? This is, by the way, boat related since I'm going to be taking picures in Havasu!!!

BadBahner
    I've been looking at these cameras and they look very nice but I've been seeing prices range all over the place. I know it depends on the lense selection but even when you look at Best Buy compared to others the body is anywhere from $459 to $899. what am I missing and does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy? This is, by the way, boat related since I'm going to be taking picures in Havasu!!!
    I have the Canon 20D and I bought it from B and H camera. They are on the internet and have a good reputation.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    Eric

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast