Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket Advice.

DEEZ NUTTS
    Hello Gurus, I used copper gaskets on my 509 with a 871 that I now know shouldent have. They leak and I need to know what to replace them with. Heads and block are not machined for O-rings, only plan on 5lbs. this summer maybe 8ish later on max.
    8.4 comp.
    What should I run thats trouble free?
    Thank you!

Infomaniac
    Superdave013 recommended the gaskets they sell at Clay Smith Cams. I bought some to replace my copper gaskets with. They call them Detroit gaskets. I have not run them yet but am sure they will seal with or without "O" rings.

Craig
    A bunch of us run FelPro head gaskets with the built in wire ring on our blower boats. All run 8 pounds boost. No problems in a year, knock on wood http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Craig

DEEZ NUTTS
    Thanks for the responses. Another question would be what type of gasket sealer are you guy using for head and intake? Especialy intake since I cannot properly torque a couple of the bolts.
    I just removed intake and it looks like I ran a ton of water through the motor. It has about 1 hour on it including cam break in. Dipstick never looked milky untill the very end of my little test session.
    Cam looks great, I don't want to pull the motor to clean it up. I am hoping that maybe I can get away with new lifters and many oil changes in the driveway. Any thoughts?

wideopen545
    fel-pro 1017-1 or 1027 for alum tim

schiada96
    Felpro lots of boost also knocking on wood!!

77schiada22
    you didnt say what block u have. markIV genV or genVI . felpro works fine or sce has a new graphite gasket out. 6-8 lbs boost on bbc should be no problem. have 174 blower on bbc in a street truck been together going on 8yrs with 1017-1 felpros no problem. gen 4 uses 1017-1 or 1027 gen5&6 use 1047 no 4.5 bore. for whats it worth.

schiada96
    Hi bones how the married life !!!!!!

DEEZ NUTTS
    Schiada96 do I know you or does someone else also go by bones? That name goes back a few years.

schiada96
    DNutz, 77schiada22 has a fabrication shop called bones fab he just got married now he is a sucker like me. He knows alot about cars and motors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast