Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayor and Havasu Channel(this guy is nuts)

TCHB
    LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - If the buying of the English Village by the city of Lake Havasu wasn’t enough to stir the fans of controversy, along comes Mayor Harvey Jackson’s proposal to ban mooring altogether in some sections of the channel. Business owners in the channel and elsewhere are outraged. One called on the mayor to “stop raining on everyone else’s parade.” (see Letters to Editor)
    Mayor Jackson told onlookers at city hall yesterday that he sold his boat after 30 years on the lake. He especially couldn’t stand the heavy traffic and large boats jutting out in the channel and he says channel cruising “hasn’t been realistic in the summers” for some time now. He thinks it’s time to consider the community first.
    Former mayor, Bob Whelan, who was ousted by Jackson during the recent recall election, says the mayor’s proposal is “shortsighted.” He says the city must consider what the effect would have on businesses and the sales tax. Whelan says obviously “tourism is our biggest industry” and “boaters are big spenders.” He believes just because boats have gotten bigger “doesn’t mean we stop them from going through the channel.”
    Meanwhile, Jackson may have the votes. Councilman Allan Sturtevant agrees with the mayor, saying the south side of the channel is especially bad with boaters “leaving their boats running, drinking, and splashing around in the water.” He says he’s not currently for a total ban of mooring in the channel, but the issue is “still open for question.”
    A so-called “moor-in” is set for Sunday in the channel at 1pm. Organizer Gregg Staples says, “it is our channel we’re not giving it up and we’re not going to let them take it away from us.”

Kilrtoy
    “hasn’t been realistic in the summers” for some time now. He thinks it’s time to consider the community first.
    NO he is thinking about his own goals and that is the new plan of the english village andhis personal wallet.
    Meanwhile, Jackson may have the votes. Councilman Allan Sturtevant agrees with the mayor, saying the south side of the channel is especially bad with boaters “leaving their boats running, drinking, and splashing around in the water.”
    God forbid they run their boats, drink and SPLASH in the water, all legal activities
    A so-called “moor-in” is set for Sunday in the channel at 1pm. Organizer Gregg Staples says, “it is our channel we’re not giving it up and we’re not going to let them take it away from us.”
    We will be there. It is becoming clear, he has a personal agenda, he is trying to attain. If they were so concerned about these law violators, he would ask the Police to become more strict and have ZERO tolerance....
    This guy is on a mission, what it is I don't know, but one thing is, to fill his wallet with more cash

Garrddogg
    NO he is thinking about his own goals and that is the new plan of the english village andhis personal wallet.
    God forbid they run their boats drink and SPLASH in the water all legal activities
    We will be there. It is being clear he has a personal agendga he is trying to attain. If they were so concerned about this law violators he would ask the Police to become more strict and have ZERO tolerance....
    This guy is on a mission, what it is I don't know, but one thing is to fill his wallet with more cash
    I think klr is on to something here!

KoolPop
    Fill the channel with boats on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
    Fill the channel with boats on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wouldn't it make more sense to do this on Saturday and then some of the out of town people could drive out and participate? Or is this just supposed to be a show of support against this proposal by local residents?

shadow
    LAKE HAVASU CITY, . Councilman Allan Sturtevant agrees with the mayor, saying the south side of the channel is especially bad with boaters “leaving their boats running, drinking, and splashing around in the water.” ”
    NOT SLASHING around in the water!!!!!

riverbound
    Is there a size limit on the channel??

Havasu_Dreamin
    Is there a size limit on the channel??
    There are signs at the North and South entrances that indicate that no vessles in excess of 36 feet are allowed to enter the channel. From what I understand this was originally enacted to prevent houseboats from crusing the channel and mooring. I imagine the Dixie Belle has some sort of waiver as do the larger boats during the poker runs. Also, as Uncle Larry said, the signs can be flipped up which in effect remove the size limitation at that time.

riverbound
    There are signs at the North and South entrances that indicate that no vessles in excess of 36 feet are allowed to enter the channel. From what I understand this was originally enacted to prevent houseboats from crusing the channel and mooring. I imagine the Dixie Belle has some sort of waiver as do the larger boats during the poker runs. Also, as Uncle Larry said, the signs can be flipped up which in effect remove the size limitation at that time.
    OK....I was just wondering if this was a campaign against the "big boats" thing.

OnlyMoney
    This stuff is making me so angry/sad. I wish we could be there Sunday. The CES show is getting in our way.
    We'll be there in our hearts. Be sure to run your engines, drink and splash around in the water! :rollside:
    Shelby & Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast