Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Steering system for Tahiti

robk
    My 18' Tahiti came with a junk rotary steering system that has so much play in the shaft that the wheel can wobble at least an inch in any direction. I'm looking for a steering box that uses the bolt pattern like in the picture attached (2 bolts on top, one on the bottom, much bigger than the stock tahiti 2-bolt configuration).
    If anybody has anything laying around that's in decent shape, let me know how much you want for it and I'll double-check the bolt pattern. Not too sure how many different patterns are in use out there but my boat has lots of holes from different steering systems used over its life.
    Thanks
    Rob
    P.S. Thanks Flea Diddy for having a picture of what I was looking for.

bighead
    i just went through a similar situation, call Rex Marine and order up a complete new system around 175 bucks cable and all. If you have room behind your dash get the rack system my friend put one in his Cheetah and it is great. My boat is a open bow and there was not enough clearance for the rack but the new rotary is smooth and tight.

robk
    i just went through a similar situation, call Rex Marine and order up a complete new system around 175 bucks cable and all. If you have room behind your dash get the rack system my friend put one in his Cheetah and it is great. My boat is a open bow and there was not enough clearance for the rack but the new rotary is smooth and tight.
    I've looked at the new ones at Rex and other places, but I'm hoping someone will have an old one laying around in good shape so I dont have to go all out on a new one.
    I think there is enough room for a rack, which I would have pulled out of my other Tahiti, but the problem is that the dash is so hacked up from previous systems that it just wouldnt be solid. The 3 bolt system pictures looks like the only thing that would be solid without completely patching the dash and repainting, which is a project I dont need.
    Which rotary did you get? What does the bolt pattern look like?
    Rob

bighead
    The setup from Rex was a Teleflex safe t quick or some such thing, it had the same 3 bolt pattern as the old one and if I remember correctly the rack setup had a 3 bolt mount also as we used the same holes when we installed the rack on the other boat. Call Rex they were very helpful and had answers for all questions. If you plan on keeping the boat I would go with the rack setup,it is noticably smoother, quicker ratio and no play at all.

Mr. Crusader 83
    I've looked at the new ones at Rex and other places, but I'm hoping someone will have an old one laying around in good shape so I dont have to go all out on a new one.
    I think there is enough room for a rack, which I would have pulled out of my other Tahiti, but the problem is that the dash is so hacked up from previous systems that it just wouldnt be solid. The 3 bolt system pictures looks like the only thing that would be solid without completely patching the dash and repainting, which is a project I dont need.
    Which rotary did you get? What does the bolt pattern look like?
    Rob
    TRUST ME BRO. THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THEN THE STEERING CABLE BREAKING UP PAST SANDBAR. IT TAKE A LONG TIME TO GET BACK TO WINDSOR LAUNCH RAMP IN CIRCLES... AS YOU CAN TELL MINE BROKE.
    REXMAR.COM LESS THE $200 FOR THE HELM AND CABLE.

robk
    TRUST ME BRO. THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THEN THE STEERING CABLE BREAKING UP PAST SANDBAR. IT TAKE A LONG TIME TO GET BACK TO WINDSOR LAUNCH RAMP IN CIRCLES... AS YOU CAN TELL MINE BROKE.
    REXMAR.COM LESS THE $200 FOR THE HELM AND CABLE.
    *That* sounds like a whole lot of fun. At least you were floating in the right direction!
    I'll take my time before I buy a new helm and cable -- in fact, the rack steering on my other "part source" Tahiti is in great shape. Only using it would require me to do a bunch of glass work on the dash to close up the large hole that's there.
    Luckily, Rex is right up the street from me so if I do go that route I can physically check out what they have.

Konabud
    Here ya go! $117.00 any length you want, everything but the wheel. If you have Morse or Teleflex now the new bezel should cover any holes you might have to drill. I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago with a tilt helm kit from Eddie Marine. The new holes didn't line up with the old ones, just drilled three new holes, bolted it up and it was perfect. I wouldn't settle for a used system. It could save you a few more years until you have to do it again and there is nothing like good steering on a faster boat.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Telef...3QQitemZ458095 7353QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

robk
    Here ya go! $117.00 any length you want, everything but the wheel. If you have Morse or Teleflex now the new bezel should cover any holes you might have to drill. I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago with a tilt helm kit from Eddie Marine. The new holes didn't line up with the old ones, just drilled three new holes, bolted it up and it was perfect. I wouldn't settle for a used system. It could save you a few more years until you have to do it again and there is nothing like good steering on a faster boat.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Telef...3QQitemZ458095 7353QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
    Right on, that's exactly what I'm looking for and the price isn't bad either.
    Sorry to ask so many questions, but looking at the instructions to determine cable length provided, I'm not sure they would work for a jet. Anyone have advice on the way to measure the most accurate length?
    Thanks to all on this thread for enough responses to convince me not to go
    used.

bighead
    The easiest way to determine cable length is measure the old one or look for some numbers on it so that they can be used to determine the needed length. You are right to go with new as I recently tried to go the el-cheapo route on my POS fishing boat and it was so much of a pain I bought all new for that too, also REX should be able to tell you what length needed if you tell them make of boat.

Konabud
    I compleatly re-routed mine, all I did was center the steering and then use a #10 extension cord to mock it up just the way I wanted it to run. I measured from the center of the helm at the rack to the end of the cable at the jet and then rounded up to the nearest foot. Came out just right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast