Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for information for 572" twin turbo build

Hipshot
    Hello everyone, I am knew to the ***boat boards but not new to boating. I am currently trying to find on of the 21ft aluminum tunnel hull jets to build a hotrod/family boat out of that I am wanting to build a twin turbo motor for. This will be my first twin turbo deal but I have run blowers for years. I am wanting to go against the grain and do this thing with some type of EFI injection setup even though all the car guys are saying it won't work. Do any of you have experience with this type set up in a boat running sensors? If so would you care to share your thoughts.
    Here is a small parts list of what my base build will be:
    1. Donovan Marine anodized aluminum block 4.625" bore
    2. Sonny Bryant crank 4.25" stroke
    3. Steve Schmidt Pro-Filer 12 degree heads w/ 2.400int 1.880ext
    These are the parts I have to start with. I am also thinking about running GRP aluminum rods but I am not sure about longevity in a recreational boat.

Taylorman

Infomaniac
    Where in OK are you?
    I can help.

Hipshot
    I live in Temple. About 30 miles south of Lawton. Thanks for the offer to help. How is it that you can help? Do you have experience with these turbo deals and EFI in a boat. I talked to the guys at OutlawEagle boats today and I am waiting for a quote on a new aluminum 21ft tunnel. I am seriously thinking about buying an aluminum tunnel to put this deal in.

Hipshot
    Okay okay, I am a newbie so I guess I have to take a certain amount of abuse huh?

Unchained
    Hello everyone, I am knew to the ***boat boards but not new to boating. I am currently trying to find on of the 21ft aluminum tunnel hull jets to build a hotrod/family boat out of that I am wanting to build a twin turbo motor for. This will be my first twin turbo deal but I have run blowers for years. I am wanting to go against the grain and do this thing with some type of EFI injection setup even though all the car guys are saying it won't work. Do any of you have experience with this type set up in a boat running sensors? If so would you care to share your thoughts.
    These are the parts I have to start with. I am also thinking about running GRP aluminum rods but I am not sure about longevity in a recreational boat.
    With Twin turbo and EFI you'll be going with the best and most efficient setup available. With the right turbo's you'll be able to get 1100 hp on pump gas with 12# boost. I run 19# boost and am around 1400hp with 110 octane.
    Car guys that say EFI won't work in a boat are not informed and must not know the system.
    The 21' Eagle aluminum hull would be a great choice too. I'd have one but I'm stuck on pickleforks and no one makes them in aluminum. The Aluminum hull will usually weigh less than a fiberglass hull and be more durable. Paint jobs are pricey though. The hull with the paint job will cost you considerably more than a glass boat with 4 or 5 colors in the gel.
    Another choice would be a new 19' Stealth Kevlar hull. Their 420#. I saw one last saturday in Phoenix and it was a beauty.
    Hi-Tech Performance is a dealer for them.
    I've run my TT / EFI setup for a few years and I'm real happy with it. I used roots blowers before too but never again.
    I've also run Bill Miller aluminum rods for several years.
    The first set I ran 4 seasons and removed them and sent them back to Miller for inspection and they told me that they were still at original length and could still be used. I elected to get a new set anyways. I've run the current set for three seasons. I put over 40 hrs per year on this boat.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...boengine05.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ashguardls.jpg
    I fabricate stainless dry turbo headers and intercooler boxes if you need them.
    Good Luck with your project.
    Mark
    616 813 7237

Hipshot
    Thanks unchained. I have my eye on a pair of Turbonetics Super T series turbos that only have about 10 passes on them that I am trying to buy. I still have a lot of learning to do on this stuff. As far as 19ft tunnels go they won't cut it for what I need, they are just too small. If I were going with a glass boat I would buy a 21ft Daytona. I just want something different. My family owns five paint and body shops so the paint job isn't a big deal, I can get as crazy as I want and it will only cost time not money. You're set up looks awesome, nice fabricating!

Badburn
    Hey unchained, Do you know of anyone who makes warercooled turbo stuff that would be suitable for an enclosed engine compartment.??? I'm thinking about turning my blower motor project into a turbo motor project :idea:

MKEELINE
    BadBurn,
    Talk to obnoxious001, Barry, here on the boards. I believe he has a complete Gentry system for sale.

Unchained
    Hey unchained, Do you know of anyone who makes warercooled turbo stuff that would be suitable for an enclosed engine compartment.??? I'm thinking about turning my blower motor project into a turbo motor project :idea:
    Superdave adapted a set of CMI stainless water jacketed headers to a turbo flange and that looked like a good way to go. Maybe he could post some pictures of it.
    I just had a couple 1/2" stainless turbo flanges lasered out at "Stainless Works" in Ohio and they are real nice. $ 62.50 each
    They had flanges for T4's in stock but I had to send them a layout of the flanges I needed for these big Garrett Turbo's I use.
    I really enjoyed the Video of your street car.
    Thanks for putting that up.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast