Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has the most NCAA championships

Seadog
    If you get rid of the womans sports, and extremely limited area sports like water polo, volleyball and frisbee golf.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Apparently you didn't like my resposne to your original thread that shows according to the NCAA UCLA does (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html)
    Don't ask a question such as 'which school has the most NCAA championships?', get an answer, and then re-ask it again in a different manner to satisfy the answer you want. Mens sports, $c with 72, Womens sports Stanford with 33, Coed sports Denver 18, total NCAA championships, UCLA with 97

unleashed
    Apparently you didn't like my resposne to your original thread that shows according to the NCAA UCLA does (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html)
    Don't ask a question such as 'which school has the most NCAA championships?', get an answer, and then re-ask it again in a different manner to satisfy the answer you want. Mens sports, $c with 72, Womens sports Stanford with 33, Coed sports Denver 18, total NCAA championships, UCLA with 97
    Being a huge Bruin Fan....I agree.
    Thats like sayin I'll flip you for that last french fry than lose and say how about best 2 out of 3! hahahahahah
    Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Havasu_Dreamin
    SD, seeing as you're from Stillwater I'll hypothize that you are the one that voted for OK State. Which is cool. But don't say leave out the small sports when 33 of OK States 46 NCAA championships are for wrestling! That is the definition of a small sport! In fact, in reality, all of the sports besides football and mens basketball could be considered small since those two fund all of the other sports.

Seadog
    First, the first posting was deleted by my inexperience in doing a poll.
    Second, many of the UCLA and USC sports are in areas that are not very common in most schools. They are sports that are available at the huge, mostly CA schools. Many of the women's sports are reaction to Title IX and are sometimes out there. Since early championships in those sports had more to do with the wealth of the schools in early days, I did not feel that they were as fair to count.
    Finally, there is no football championship and that is something that I thought would confuse the issues.
    No hidden agenda here, but merely wondering what the bulk of people would answer without getting referenced to the NCAA site. And to my knowledge, wrestling is at a lot more colleges than water polo. We tried it, but the horses didn't like it. And apparently there is not a NCAA category for Rodeo.
    BTW, I checked and there are 87 Div. I wrestling schools, but only 21 Water Polo teams and 22 Volley Ball teams. In both cases, 11 of which are in CA, and I think Volley Ball does not have any teams that is not on either coast. Unfortunately, there is only 17 men's gymnastic teams. This number was much higher, but it is probably the sport most dropped after the Title IX lawsuites started.

Ultracrazy
    Why not........are the question monitor?? Just ignore the thread like the rest of us.

1978 Rogers
    Is USC on her for sympathy points for the football team?
    I figure UCLA.

Kilrtoy
    UCLA HANDS DOWN,
    why do you think we win so many Olympic medals, they are all teams staffed with UCLA players and yes others

jdogginla
    The University of South Dakota! Go Yotes!

Up 4 River
    I remember reading UCLA is an Sports Illustrated issue some time ago so knew the answe right out of the gate. In reference to Volleyball being only a CA sport that's not totally correct. Granted until Penn St mens team won the NCAA title in 1994 no other team outside CA had won a title. Since then there have been others like BYU. When I played club volleyball in high school the majority of the US was always represented at the Junior Olympics. The east coast, mid west and south were all very well represented. I could rattle off a number of all americans who have not been from CA in the last 10 years. When I played in college I remeber George Mason being in the final four and they are from Virginia. IPFW played in a final four as well and they are in Big Ten country. I'm not arguing here but wanted to point out that volleyball is not just a regional thing even though CA schools have dominated since it's inception into the NCAA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast