Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter bendix??????????????

Blown 472
    Answer me this, I have a top mount prestolite style starter that the roll pin fell out of yesterday so I need to replace that. But then bendix seems like it is out too far, how does it work, we took it apart and there is a plunger with a spring in the part that has the helical cut gear on it which is lugged to the nose with the gear on it.
    So when it engages the flywheel does centrifugal force overcome the plunger and let the gear slide back down the helical part of it? or just how in the hell does this thing work?
    Any one have any pics of an exploded on as well?

centerhill condor
    I saw some stuff on the prestolite.com website.... I think it is spring loaded and torque engages or causes the gear to slide toward the big gears.

Cheap Thrills
    If it's the type Im thinking it is. The plunger is drawn into the solenoid Via electromagnetic energy drawing the bendix into the flywheel. The spring returns the plunger to it's original posistion when the magnetic current is released.
    C.T. :wink:

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you had only asked 24 hrs earlier. :cry:
    About 4 hrs ago dropped the 454 back into the Taylor from all the winter work. It's used a top-mount reverse rotation, prestolite starter for 28 years, and I would have looked at it for ya, but it's hard to get to now.

Blown 472
    If you had only asked 24 hrs earlier. :cry:
    About 4 hrs ago dropped the 454 back into the Taylor from all the winter work. It's used a top-mount reverse rotation, prestolite starter for 28 years, and I would have looked at it for ya, but it's hard to get to now.
    day late and dollar short, story of my life :yuk:

Cheap Thrills
    Like this one ?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...127starter.JPG
    1Terminal Nut
    2Starter Solenoid
    3Housing Seal Assembly
    4Bushing Bearing
    5Drive End Housing
    6Solenoid Screw (2 Req'd)
    7Starter Motor Assembly
    8Drive Lever
    9Drive Assembly
    10Stop Ring Retainer
    11Stop Ring
    12Magnet Retainer (6 Req'd)
    13Starter Frame
    14Brush Assembly
    15Spring
    16 Bushing Bearing
    17Brush End Plate
    18Brush Plate Screw (2 Req'd)
    19Through-Bolt (2 Req'd)
    20Armature Assembly
    21Armature Thrust Ball
    22Planet Gear
    23Stationary Gear Assembly
    24Truarc E-Ring
    25Magnet Pole Piece (6 Req'd)
    26Pole Shunt (6 Req'd)
    27Armature
    28Shaft Assembly
    29Gear Retainer
    OR PICK ONE.
    http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d801d7061.gif
    http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d801d7062.gif
    http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d801d7063.gif
    all of the above use magnetic energy to engage the bendix the last one uses kenetic energy.
    The torque of the starter spins the bendix up a pitched shaft into the flywheel and the coil spring pulls it back away from the flywheel when the tourque is released.
    http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d801d7060.gif

Blown 472
    It is like the last one, do they have any pics of the bendix drive exploded?

Cheap Thrills
    not that I have found yet I'll keep looking. Whats the problem with it ?
    if it appears ok but won't turn the engine over chances are that the
    "One Way Bearing" inside the bendix is shot it acts like a ratchet allowing the gear to spin freely in one direction and not the other. if it's bad it will just spin under tourque. unfortunately it is sealed inside the bendix I don't think it is serviceable and a replacement may be nessassary. They aren't that expensive if you can find sombody to source it.
    If it's standard rotation Autozone carries them I dont know if they can source reverse rotation though.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep, that last one is mine, fairly comon boat starter but pretty hard to get ahold of too. Pricey lil bahhhhstahhd. :cry: :cry: :cry:

80Dimarco
    Mine is like the first one and is a Delco Remy, what kind is that first one?
    I need a new one I think, although the auto parts place tells me the starter is good after they tested it.. If it is I dont know wtf is going on lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast