Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aluminum Ford Big Block info please

1968Droptop
    You guys seem to have way more knowedge than i do. Hell I'm just starting to learn about jet boats. My buddy (Tony) and I are H/P junkies, and Ford fans as well. Tony is just about done with his 3 year project, a blown BOSS 9 engine ! And now I must surpass him, j.k..lol ! Like I said earlier, this is just the begining of finding out what's going to work best for me and my boat. Can you guys answer a couple other questions regarding BBF's ?
    How big can an iron block go (and be reliable) ? We've read about oiling issue's, but don't know how bad it really is ?
    How big can an AL block go (and be reliable) ?
    How much deck heigth is added to a "tall deck" ?
    Approx. how much lighter is the AL block ?
    Thanks for taking the time answer these questions.

You guys seem to have way more knowedge than i do. Hell I'm just starting to learn about jet boats. My buddy (Tony) and I are H/P junkies, and Ford fans as well. Tony is just about done with his 3 year project, a blown BOSS 9 engine ! And now I must surpass him, j.k..lol ! Like I said earlier, this is just the begining of finding out what's going to work best for me and my boat. Can you guys answer a couple other questions regarding BBF's ?
    How big can an iron block go (and be reliable) ? We've read about oiling issue's, but don't know how bad it really is ?
    Chris,
    The best info I can give you is call Carrol. If your interested in parts or complete turn key he can help you. Now Carrols hours are like 1pm to 3am in the morning . ..he still machines and assembles all his stuff. Call around 3pm EST and ask for him.. . .they will run "block" for him just tell him Chris Straub of Stef's Oil Pans said to call and talk to Carrol or Chris (Carrols son) about a Ford engine.
    There is a super amount of knowledge on this board and I am in no means saying your questions can't be answered, I just thiknk by contacting C&C it will be the shortest route to answer everything. Number is 703 368 7878.
    Thanks,
    Chris

wsuwrhr
    I would think the block would weigh in at less that 150lbs.
    Brian

LakesOnly
    These engines do not have oiling issues; it's just a matter of proper setup. By the way, we sell quality specially prepped internal oil pumps and our website offers simple block oiling mods...but these none stock oiling system has been known to be more than adequate in high perf builds.
    There are shelf stroker kits all day long to build a 557 with a passenger car block and this is only .080" overbore. Plenty of 572's have been built from a stock block, too. Personally, I have preference for the 521/533 4.3" stroker.
    As far as how much displacement these blocks can hold, 600+ cubes is about it for standard deck (10.300") passenger car blocks (although reliability/lifespan is now compromised), and it goes up from there with the tall deck blocks. The height of a tall deck block can be whatever you want it to be, 11.1-12+ inches.
    Weight varies by dozens of pounds depending on how much the cylinder is bored (from 4.36 to 4.625).
    LO

1968Droptop
    These engines do not have oiling issues; it's just a matter of proper setup. By the way, we sell quality specially prepped internal oil pumps and our website offers simple block oiling mods...but these none stock oiling system has been known to be more than adequate in high perf builds.
    Thanks for the info guys, man am I drooling big time right now. My bad, I wasn't very clear about oiling issue's. I was refering to consumtion. We've read that the oil ring gets exposed by the heigth of the wrist pin. We're wondering how much consumtion there is ?
    Let me ask another question of you. I know there's many variables. BUT, do you guys think my idea about a total sleeper is way off ? Does my boat need to have full stringers to hold that kind of power ? I'm in no way against re-stringing my boat as it's a 1/4 stringer right now, but is it nessesary ? Or is a good rail mount the answer ? I've been told my hull is safe at 100+ mph by a couple other that have Custom Sprint Sangers. I'm new to this boating thing, but kinda like it...can ya tell LOL.
    P.S. Paul, can you PM me your # and a good time to call ? I'd enjoy chatting in person.
    Chris. Thanks for forwarding Carrol's #. I'll dial the man up and listen to what he has to say.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123