Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: jetboat cam

is it better to have a cam that makes power starting at a lower rpm than one that starts at a higher rpm? my pump has a b imp. in it. not planning to make a race bost out of it just something a little faster then 70 m.p.h. would be nice.
    pat(slotracer) :idea:

MikeF
    is it better to have a cam that makes power starting at a lower rpm than one that starts at a higher rpm? my pump has a b imp. in it. not planning to make a race bost out of it just something a little faster then 70 m.p.h. would be nice.
    Perhaps some more attention is needed elsewhere. Remember what ocurred after Pumpkin did the work to their boat and how much it picked up. :boxed:

not really looking to do what the pumpkins did.
    pat(slotracer) :rollside:

squirt
    Pat which boat is this engine for?
    You don't need to do all the work the pumpkins did to get more speed but some of it would really help. Let me know when ya want yor trailer back
    Don

GofastRacer
    The pump is just like a torque converter in a car, whatever the stahl is where you want the power to come in, so whatever rpm the pump loads up is where you want the power to come in, anything below that is almost free engine!..

don its for the mariah. going to put in the engine i take out of the swtd. thinking about changing the cam to match the tunnel ram or go back to the air gap and single 850. but the cool look factor is better with the tunnel going to need the trailer back sometime next month. right now i am switching the engine into the s-10 from the cadillac.

The pump is just like a torque converter in a car, whatever the stahl is where you want the power to come in, so whatever rpm the pump loads up is where you want the power to come in, anything below that is almost free engine!..
    Lightbulb went on in my head, great explanation GFR.
    Pat I would find out where your impeller "hooks" as GFR said. I would cam to have the power come in a little above the "hook" rpm which allows the engine to "load" and as it does this it will fall on the "hook rpm" and push the boat.
    I have just a simple understanding of how a jet works but with GFR's explanation thats how I would look at camming a drag car.

how do you tell when your pump is loaded? thanks
    pat(slotracer)

H2OT TIMES
    I can tell you this much, I have used Erson Jet Boat cams in 2 engines, 1 Olds and 1 BBC and have been very happy with both.

I like the analogy of pump to tourqe converter.
    I also would like to know how to find out what rpm the impeller "hooks"at.This would be great for figureing an rpm operating range.Thanks .....Hal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast