Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOT amps

Sotally Tober
    Well yesterday we were out at the lake (98+) and listening to some tunes at a high level. The mid and high amp started to shut down for heat, My amps are in my cuddy. I'm running a 850.4 for 6 mb quarts. The bow set is running on 2 channels @ 4 ohms. The rear 2 sets are running on the next 2 channels @ 2 ohms. The front shuts down first and then later the rear. Kind of seems like it should be opposite to me, Will a fan help? It already has an internal fan. Obviously it isn't enough. If I had some spacers to hold the amp out and get some air behind the heat sink would that do much? Any suggestions you stereo gurues?
    The class D barely gets warm to the touch.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...84IMG_7228.JPG

h2oski2fast
    1st of all they can't displace heat when mounted with the heat sink facing down. Spacing them out won't help. I would put an external fan blowing across the front of the amp (heat sink). This will help, but probably won't cure the problem completely.

rivercrazy
    I'm running a 850.4 for 6 mb quarts. The bow set is running on 2 channels @ 4 ohms. The rear 2 sets are running on the next 2 channels @ 2 ohms.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...84IMG_7228.JPG
    This is where your problem is. Your amp is being presented with an ohm load it probably isn't rated for. Your running below 2 ohms if your rear sets are wired in parallel.

Beer-30
    I am assuming from the info that your high end amp is the upper one, above the Class D. The heat from the D is escaping and rising right up to you high end amp. At that angle, the heat cannot dissipate fast enough. Remember, these car amps are not in a nice, air conditioned car. They are out in the Havasu heat. I would put a fan apiece blowing across them.

Sotally Tober
    This is where your problem is. Your amp is being presented with an ohm load it probably isn't rated for. Your running below 2 ohms if your rear sets are wired in parallel.
    I believe they are 4 ohm speakers. By running a set in parellel wont it drop it to 2 ohms? The amp is 2 ohm stable.
    The class D is the top one. So the hot one is actually heating it.

riverbound
    In that configuration, the top one will always be the one heating up, as it's getting it's own heat and the heat from the one below. Three words, Atwood bilge blower. Took 15 degrees off all my amps across the board.
    Does it have to be an Atwood??

rivercrazy
    I believe they are 4 ohm speakers. By running a set in parellel wont it drop it to 2 ohms? The amp is 2 ohm stable.
    The class D is the top one. So the hot one is actually heating it.
    Most 4 channel amps have one power supply, not two. For 4 channels with one power supply the ohm load is aggregated so your really running below 2 ohms with your 6 speakers. You could wire up the rear speakers in series to get the amp to run cooler. But then you running mixed loads to the front and rear channels of the amp

Sotally Tober
    In that configuration, the top one will always be the one heating up, as it's getting it's own heat and the heat from the one below. Three words, Atwood bilge blower. Took 15 degrees off all my amps across the board.
    The bottom one is the one I'm having heat issues with.
    How them hell do I put a bilge blower in a finished cuddy. Maybe one of the RV type fans. I'm sure my 2 boys would enjoy the cool down as they watch a movie or take a nap.

h2oski2fast
    Most 4 channel amps have one power supply, not two. For 4 channels with one power supply the ohm load is aggregated so your really running below 2 ohms with your 6 speakers. You could wire up the rear speakers in series to get the amp to run cooler. But then you running mixed loads to the front and rear channels of the amp
    He's already doing that. 4 speakers to 2 channels (parallel) and 2 speakers to the other 2 channels.

rivercrazy
    He's already doing that. 4 speakers to 2 channels (parallel) and 2 speakers to the other 2 channels.
    Good point!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast