Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good machine shop

hack job
    hey guys i am looking for a good machine shop! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif i know that everyone has there fav. but i need on in the area of the south bay or long beach or maybe oc. i used to use velios they were in lawndale but they seem to take too long. and might be a little expensive.any suggestions! any help would be great!
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

shockwaveharry
    I use The Block Shop in Placentia. Call Tom at 714-777-4131. He's a perfectionist.

superdave013
    No wounder you had troubles. Velios suck big time! You can feel free to tell Harry that I said that too. They have ****ed up some stuff of mine and just about everyone else I know that uesd them. Last time they did a block for me a ****ing cam bearing fell out! WTF! I also had them set up some heads one time and they droped a valve the frist run.
    (Really I think you must have went lean some how to have burnt that piston.)
    I use Clay Smith Cams in Buena Park. They cost a little more then Vellios I would think but they do kick ass work. The best part and what makes it worth every red cent is Geroge is so good and will stop you from putting together the wrong combo. You should at least go by and talk to him. He only does HiPo stuff so you will not have your shit worked on like it's an 81 Honda like Harry does. He will take your parts and get what ever else you need and put a kit together for you. It will be blanced, clean and ready to put together. His stuff is right on the money. Tell him Dave Bottomley sent you. His daughter Sherry rocks to! She is who you will talk to when you frist walk in. Her husband Richard does all the heads. Great people I'm telling ya.

hack job
    Originally posted by superdave013:
    No wounder you had troubles. Velios suck big time! You can feel free to tell Harry that I said that too. They have ****ed up some stuff of mine and just about everyone else I know that uesd them. Last time they did a block for me a ****ing cam bearing fell out! WTF! I also had them set up some heads one time and they droped a valve the frist run.
    (Really I think you must have went lean some how to have burnt that piston.)
    I use Clay Smith Cams in Buena Park. They cost a little more then Vellios I would think but they do kick ass work. The best part and what makes it worth every red cent is Geroge is so good and will stop you from putting together the wrong combo. You should at least go by and talk to him. He only does HiPo stuff so you will not have your shit worked on like it's an 81 Honda like Harry does. He will take your parts and get what ever else you need and put a kit together for you. It will be blanced, clean and ready to put together. His stuff is right on the money. Tell him Dave Bottomley sent you. His daughter Sherry rocks to! She is who you will talk to when you frist walk in. Her husband Richard does all the heads. Great people I'm telling ya.
    as for velios they do suck ass they are always way behind and have no reason for it.plus they have lost so much shit its increditable. i am not looking for the kind of motor that you build ( clean shit might i add) but i will give them a call and see if its going to work for me , now my question to you dave is this do you run there cams i usally run isky cams i like them and i know that they will work with me and usally have something for what iam looking for. what iam looking for is a simple rebuild with soem forged pistons and thats abou all i will be doing the cam work and putting it all together. as for heads i am going to look in to getting some higher compression heads . and hope that they arent in need of major work i wnat them floew and thats about it. as for the reason my turbos did what they did i would assume that it was a lean out issue . the secondaire jets were 92 and the mains were 86 those are pretty big. but i had a decent sized cam in there. so i really dont know. like i said the turbos were a learning experiance i learned about some thing new and i am now going to try the tunnel thing and hope it works to my liking a little more. with any luck i can get this thing in the water by op6 and have some fun with it. i have had the boat for a while now and only taken it out three times and for maybe total time like 4 hours on the water lots of it messing with shit. thanks again dave!

SPECTRABRENT
    I would try Clay Smith for your cam. I hear they make a good jet boat cam.
    Brent

superdave013
    Of course I run a Clay Smith cam but if your cam is in good shape and the correct grind George will have no problem with it. He does all kinds of engines from mild to wild. He will set you down and talk to you about your needs and budget. Most people he talks out of the super wild shit as he knows it needs to live in their ski boat on pump gas.
    When he did my blown engine he also built another one for someone else. He was a river runner/racer and I told him I was going to drag race only and would only run the best race gas I could buy. We ended up with totaly different combos.
    Oh, George is a big time jet boat guy too. He runs a blown CP for his everyday boat and used to race roundy round jets back in the day. He's not the only game in So Cal, just the only one that I use.

lilrick
    Motor Magic,Bellflower,CA 562-925-9261

flat broke
    Originally posted by lilrick:
    Motor Magic,Bellflower,CA 562-925-9261
    Does Motor Magic do the short blocks or Machine work for Team C?

GM Killer
    Why not do it yourself? Go to Sears, get a ball hone, machinists knife, ball peen hammer, some emory cloth, and a can of solvent, and you should be good to go.
    Nothing feels better then to be able to say you did it yourself. Also, think of all the money you will be saving!!!
    Why not make it a family project? Get the wife and kids involved. Jr. could grind the valve seats, while the lil woman can fit the rings. Then you could have an article written about you guys in Hot Boat Magazine under Readers Rides.
    (please take no offense to this, it was all in fun. This is a spoof directed towards HBM)

hack job
    Originally posted by GM Killer:
    Why not do it yourself? Go to Sears, get a ball hone, machinists knife, ball peen hammer, some emory cloth, and a can of solvent, and you should be good to go.
    Nothing feels better then to be able to say you did it yourself. Also, think of all the money you will be saving!!!
    Why not make it a family project? Get the wife and kids involved. Jr. could grind the valve seats, while the lil woman can fit the rings. Then you could have an article written about you guys in Hot Boat Magazine under Readers Rides.
    (please take no offense to this, it was all in fun. This is a spoof directed towards HBM)
    i was thinking about doing that ! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    dave ill be calling clay smith this afternoon. thanks for the good input guys!
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)
    [This message has been edited by hack job (edited April 30, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast