Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whipples & Drives

Dave C
    I was wondering about others experiences, both positive or negative, with Whipples and drive upgrades? (i.e. breakage of stock drive, MPH gain, drive upgrades, gear/prop changes, reliability, etc.)
    I have a HP500 in a 22 Cougar MTR with an X drive(1.5, 30 - 4 blade). Whipple is claiming good numbers with the HP500 and I am impressed so far with their product!
    I really enjoy the reliability of this boat and I am happy with the speed, so far. (85 mph). But, you know how that is.......
    I am running a 30 prop now. With the whipple, I wonder if I should change the gear or prop or both?
    Thanks..
    Dave

Dave C
    The reason I ask, because I have a "spare" 540 n/a motor, which if I dump a bunch of money into it, I might (emphasis on the "might") be able to make good n/a power with pump gas (i.e. 700+ hp)
    So do I dump $ into the 540 n/a and drop it in? (which would net results of?)
    Or for the same amount of $ do I put the whipple on and make good HP. I might be able to dump some cash into some new heads too and get even more HP!

Jrocket
    Is your HP500 "EFI" or carbed? Is your drive XZ or XR?

Dave C
    HP500 EFI. I don't think the drive is a Bravo I. It's not XR or XZ. (what is a Bravo I X?)

Jrocket
    Well as for the motor,I would stick with the HP500 and put Whipples kit on it.You cant beat EFI and a blower setup.Whipple makes quality stuff.Im almost ready to put the stage 3 kit on my HP500 now.Timing is bad for me now or I would of done it the day I picked up my boat.You can get descent HP numbers out of a N/A 540 but you'll have alot more to keep up.Valve adjustments,carb,and what not.Plus the HP500 is already in the boat.If you want too put a set of good exhaust valves in the heads and go through them.How many hours are on the motor? Are you saying that you dont think you have a Bravo1 drive? I couldnt imagine any other drive would come stock unless you have something bigger...

Whipped Caliber
    I have a whipple on my boat it's 675hp with 733# on a Bravo 1 with a cap only. Have over 65hrs on it and still working. Tips a make your drive last get out of the water let off the gas!! Put it in drive let it move slow a then hit it! Whipple are bad ass!!! Boat runs in the 90's My next boat will have whipple on it as well, new boat just started today!!

BoatFloating
    Dave C:
    HP500 EFI. I don't think the drive is a Bravo I. It's not XR or XZ. (what is a Bravo I X?) In 2002 Merc added X to there Bravo drives. If it doesn't say XZ or XR it's a Bravo X = Bravo 1.

Dave C
    Motor has 100 hours. It is a 2000 model year.
    I need to research this drive with the serial #. It is a Bravo I. The dealer said it was an "X drive" but not a XR or XZ, whatever that means. I assumed it was the basic Bravo I drive.
    The only other label says Bravo I "performance" on the outside.
    I understand that if you take it easy on the throttle until it is on plane and don't bang in and out of gear, it helps longevity? I wonder if the gears will come out the side with the Whipple. If so, I was considering the XR upgrade.

bigq
    Whipped Caliber:
    I have a whipple on my boat it's 675hp with 733# on a Bravo 1 with a cap only. Have over 65hrs on it and still working. Tips a make your drive last get out of the water let off the gas!! Put it in drive let it move slow a then hit it! Whipple are bad ass!!! Boat runs in the 90's My next boat will have whipple on it as well, new boat just started today!! What is it that you are getting and when is the 23 going up for sale?

Dave C
    I meant.... I think it is a Bravo I and not a XR or XZ. (need some coffee over here!?!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast