Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone taken a DCB Mach 26 to catalina?

ONE 4 SPECTRA
    Has anyone taken a DCB Mach 26 to catalina?
    I think it should run good but just wondering if anyone has run it. How long does it take?

Skaterfast
    I left from Huntington Harbour at 8am in my 24 Skater last year.It's 33 Nautical miles and I averaged 61mph.Seas were average.Leave at sun up if you have women or children.It's not a trip to be taken lightly.You need at the very minimum a compass,flairs,and a hand held radio.

MrHavasuCat
    That could be a hairy ride. It can get very rough in the channel between Catalina and the coast, as well as foggy. I think you could do it, but I don't know if I would try it it mine. Make sure you have a gps and a marine radio at the least.

Fat Chance
    I've done it in my 250 Hallett, moderate seas (2'-3') and it took about 40 minutes w/ a soda stop mid channel. It was a piece of cake, lot's of fun. The habor master will meet you as you arrive and you can rent a mooring and get a water taxi to shore. It's pretty bitchen. I'd recommend GPS, ship to shore, etc...

gimprvr
    SKATERFAST says has some video of his trip. He said he will post one part where it shows him getting at least 300ft of air!!!

i took my 26ft american offshore a few miles out before.cant say i recommend it.there's a big difference between big lake water and the ocean were there are a lot of holes just inviting you to stuff it.

JimK
    We took our 22' Howard open bow and had an interesting ride. First off, make sure you have a compass, a VHF, and a chart with someone who can read it. Next, be ready for limited visibility; we couldn't see Catalina until we were almost there! Watch out for the wakes from cruise ships, freighters, very large yachts, etc. Kinda like those big waves in "The Perfect Storm" http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Then, the wind came up on the way back and we had to deal with large amounts of salt water spray coming in at just about where I was driving from. It was fun, we were actually safe (lifejackets, flares, etc.) but one time was just enough fun. I'll stay on Lake Mead from now on.

Thunderbutt
    In the 60's and 70's 18 foot flatbottoms and some small outboards would be in the Catalina race. They start the race early to get calm seas, but that doesn't alwayes happen. If you call the Coast Guard they can tell what the weather will be the next day. Its the long swells that hurt. Take a compass and some flares.
    Skaterfast, If you averaged 61mph. you should hook up with a Ski racer you might win the race

Skaterfast
    Already way ahead of you Thunderbutt.I inquired about pulling someone last year.The problem is my Skater does not break up the water enough for the skier.If you have ever watched the race the lead boats are bow down and plowing to brake up the water for the skier.I was at the turn boat 2 years ago and wathed over 100 boats go by and there was only one tunnel boat.Stoker 20'.

gimprvr
    SKATERFAST
    "and wathed over 100 boats go by"
    Wathed, is this a racing term?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast