Thread: 21 bowrider project help

Goodtime$
    Got a steal on a 21 bowrider so im putting a pump in it.
    488ci chevy,JE pistons,dart heads,big cam etc blah blah
    My only questions is the pump?
    Obviously im doing a place diverter but what pump brand?
    Most manufs get legend pumps for the price.
    Im looking at Dominator/American Turbine Pumps or the trusty Berkley Pump.
    Any ideas on which is better, worse for a basic 21 bowrider.
    Drop Snoot? shoe size etc. Thanks guys, just need some help
    and with everything going out with merc outdrives, its hard to get a decent answer on pump choices.
    Just looking for what works to get up river. Thanks all...happy 4th july

poncho-pwr
    Dominator/AT or maybe Aggressor.

Ken F
    With most bowriders back in the day they would install Jacuzzi's because they worked better (low pressure/hi-volume) with a heavy boat in the acceleration and pulling power departments.
    Having been through exactly what you are about to attempt with a bowrider, I'd say any of todays pumps are probably going give about the same performance in your boat. I'd doubt that you will notice any significant difference between todays "popular" brands. (just go for whatever you can get the best deal on) Just don't get cought up in trying to make it fast like I did. you will spend tons of money, time, sweat and tears trying to reach 70!
    Ken F

ZZ502
    PM me, I think I may have what you want or go to the SPAM section and check under "WANTED: Berk Split Bowl & Place". You can contact me after July 4th(won't be reachable until then). Also I live in Phoenix but have lots of friends in San Diego(from there) and still go to Fishers/Martinez lake(going this W/E).

Goodtime$
    Thanks guys for the help. I think i started off wrong- im not building a river racer. Its a 21 bowrider. I just fell into the 21 bowrider hull, the 488ci is a motor pulled from a 28 domn8er deck that is getting repowered with a 540blown, so its getting rebuilt with the goods. New AFR heads, JE pistons etc.
    I just want to know which pump set up works for you guys.
    IE- Hi im blah blah i have a 21 stealth with a 502 and a dominator pump, works great etc. I have this droop snoot etc.
    Wanted to go 22 placecraft with a pump, but didnt want the headache of a big motor setup.
    Thanks all, just want to make sure i get the right pump for the boat. Not looking for speed, had a 19 eliminator, built and designed single engine cats etc. Just want something to get me to the sandbar when the water is low.
    Nothing special, just full of booze, tunes and friends.

flat broke
    Are you going to use a "prefab factory" interior made for the make/model of hull that you fell into? If so, do some measurements on where those boats equiped with a pump usually land the back of the rear bench/front of the hatch. A lot of the companies today run the setback Legend, so if the interiors that are built for those boats are setup with that engine placement in mind, you could have a fitment issue if you went with a standard intake installation on a Berk etc.
    If it were me, I'd say AT SD309. Unlike the Legend factory setback setup, the mounting flange on the AT is cast into the housing. Since that installation method (as well as the legend setback) requires that you cut the joint of the transom and bottom of the hull, having the part of the pump that will be bolted to the transom actually being cast into the suction housing allows the transom and bottom to be tied back together in a sense. With the legend install, the transom adapter/mounting flange is just sealed against the suction housing so flex could still occur there. Plus, with the cast in transom adapter/mounting flange, it's one less place for a leak. Top that off with the AT pump coming with a stronger shaft right off the bat, and most other stuff being equal, it seems like a good deal. I'll put it this way... If I didn't already have a pump and was going to rig a jetboat, I'd spec the SD309.
    Also, if you're going to want a shoe/rideplate, ss impeller etc. AT will give you a break on pricing if you upgrade your pump purchase rather than buy the parts after the fact.
    my .02,
    Chris

Goodtime$
    Killer thanks Flat Broke-
    Im kinda bummed im building a bowrider, but all the parts just fell together. Im only missing the trailer/pump and interior work.
    AT SD309 is it. ill make the call this week. Thanks guys