Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolts for loader grate - question

1.5 inches long works for most intakes. I screwed up on that post, sorry.
    I know on ARP's website they claim their black bolts are not any stronger than their stainless, but I hear otherwise. I run black oxide and have never had any problems so thats what I continue to run. I change them out about every 5th trip to the river just to be safe.
    Just go to a good hardware store and get some black oxide 5/16-18 x 1 1/2 FHMS (flat head machine screw). You might want to get some extras so you can change em once in a while.You could get away with stainless if you cant get black, just check it often.You really should be checking your loader every trip anyways.
    Chris

Hal
    My stainless bolts used to shear off also. I changed to a #8 (rockwell hardness)black oxide bolt and have had no trouble since, and yes use antiseize. I think it was # 8, the harder the better.

Dirk, when you change the bolts, pull the loader out and take a good look at both mounting surfaces(on loader and in the intake). Make sure there are no bumps or burrs that might keep the loader from sitiing flat into the recess in the intake. I found my intake had a flaw in one corner that required a little die grinder attention to let my loader flange fit properly.

diggler
    Dirk, when you change the bolts, pull the loader out and take a good look at both mounting surfaces(on loader and in the intake). Make sure there are no bumps or burrs that might keep the loader from sitiing flat into the recess in the intake. I found my intake had a flaw in one corner that required a little die grinder attention to let my loader flange fit properly.
    Will do, I appreciate the note Craig. The last thing I want is the loader coming loose and folding in half, especially at speed!

Squirtin Thunder
    Are you breaking them on Delta/Sac River runs ???
    Just curious !!!

wet77
    I have never had a loader come loose or bolt come out before on any of the boats I owned
    I use a little silicon on the bottom of the loader before I install it and some on the stainless bolts, maybe that helps :idea:

Squirtin Thunder
    I have hit all kinds of little stuff on the Sac River, had to pull tons of stuff out of water pick-ups on the v-drive. Hit a small branch with the nose cone on the old O/B too out there. Being stainless is a brittle metal it does not take shock load well. I use sea-goin putty on the base of the loader to help seal and to help smooth the charge but it also help hold it in place.

diggler
    Just curious !!!
    Sorry about the late response. The bolts were replaced and used briefly on the delta. Where I found I had the problem was after my last trip to Lake Shasta. I was running very hard for two days, and had all kinds of stuff vibrate loose besides this. I've been going over every bolt and nut with a fine-toothed comb this winter and came up with a few surprises like this. Fortunately, nothing was major.

Cas
    Sorry about the late response. The bolts were replaced and used briefly on the delta. Where I found I had the problem was after my last trip to Lake Shasta. I was running very hard for two days, and had all kinds of stuff vibrate loose besides this. I've been going over every bolt and nut with a fine-toothed comb this winter and came up with a few surprises like this. Fortunately, nothing was major.
    wouldn't it be better to use some wrenches? Geez Dirk, you never learn
    how ya been bud? PG&E have any openings up my way?

diggler
    wouldn't it be better to use some wrenches? Geez Dirk, you never learn
    how ya been bud? PG&E have any openings up my way?
    Been good. PG&E always has jobs in San Francisco if you're interested in commuting. Ugh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12