Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Canada strikes again!

canuck1
    The mad cow came from a canadian cow Why are you dancing away from the truth!
    http://www.mad-cow-facts.com/about.htm
    The Washington State one was, maybe. What about the one in Texas? The Dakotas?
    Don't dig into an industry that you have NO involvement in....there is more stuff out there that is covered under the shoot-shovel and shut up policies than you would think.....

Old Texan
    Most of the land in the areas that I am familiar with in the US is privately owned and the timber rights are bought at auction. And yes Stevey you are right nobody has ever held title to 90% or the mountainous areas of western Canada....But the timber rights are still auctioned off. so are oil rights
    Maybe this will make sense to you......More area >>> less people >>>less privetely owned land>>> less competition.... therefore the stumpage fees would be less. That is a subsidy?
    I know that what we pay private land owners is more than what we pay for the same on public land on both sides of the border
    Bush imposed the tariffs based on the whining from TWO Goverors not facts
    Canuck and Steve, I believe you both have some valid points here and from what my limited knowledge tells me it's more a political problem on both sides of the border. The US lumber industry's main gripe is the substidation by Canadian Goverment, but what isn't reported here is the effect on the indviduals logging in Canada.
    The cattle thing is same as with Mexican cattle overwhelming our market and gutting prices. US cattle producers can't compete with their superior stock to Mexican cutter cows.
    My opinion is the basic NAFTA agreement is far too vague and basically hurtsthe little guy, ie- rancher, farmer, logger, smal mill operator. The big guys work on lower margins and survive to suck up all the little guys.
    Can't document anything I've said, just my opinion.
    One thing I geta kick out of is the hurricane gripe. SE mills have so much backup timber from the storm damage, they have to store it offsite. Plus alot of logging cost is being subsidized by FEMA as clean up. My business puts me in a lot of PaperMills and they all are backed up with timber.
    Go figure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234