Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Plows Into Crowd at Indiana Boat Race

HocusPocus
    MADISON, Ind. (AP) - A car plowed into a crowd Sunday at a speedboat race on the Ohio River, sending as many as a dozen people to a hospital, according to reports.
    The car plunged into the river and the Madison Regatta was halted, The Madison Courier reported.
    Between eight and 12 people were transported to a hospital, the newspaper reported. There was no immediate word of the extent of injuries.
    Madison is in southeast Indiana, midway between Louisville, Ky., and Cincinnati.
    http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/RIVE...0702172031.jpg

vmjtc3
    Hey hp how long have you lived in phelan? I spent a lot of time in that area. I have a house still in pinion hills. And my wifes mom has a big custom home being built on johnson rd. Small world huh.....
    We still get down there a few times a year to go riding out by barstow.

maxwedge
    Talk about holy shit! We just got home from there. All day we were sitting on the river bank in almost the exact spot on the hill were that car went through the crowd. After the last heat race ended we had got up to get a drink about 5-10 minutes before it happened! Feeling pretty glad to be alive right now! There we're kids playing in the water right there all day and tons of people on the river bank and I don't even want to think about it. I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been. I'm sure it was some of the people who had been sitting right near us. My thoughts and prayers go out them all and thier families. Hell of a shitty way to end the weekend.

hoolign
    If'n you spell "boat" ...CAR...you might be redneck...
    Glad no one was killed!

maxwedge
    If'n you spell "boat" ...CAR...you might be redneck...
    Glad no one was killed!
    According to the radio as we we're driving out of town the kid driving said he "blacked out" may have had a seizure or somthing. From the descriptions we heard from people who saw it, it will be very lucky If everyone makes it though alive but we can always hope.

Outnumbered
    Is this the same "Madison" from the boat race movie out a few years back?

maxwedge
    Is this the same "Madison" from the boat race movie out a few years back?
    Yep, the one and only Madison Regatta...Unlimited Hydroplane racing.
    Racing action was bizzare...Cancelled all day Saturday due to debris in the river. Sunday had six boats damaged and out of the race after hitting submerged objects in the water, including the U6 Miss Madison which hit something, tore the whole rudder assembly off at 192MPH, violently spun and narrowly missed hitting one of the safety boats! That happened right in front of us. The U3 somehow caught on fire twice but was back and running hard in the last heat race. Would have been a great to see the final race, but it was cancelled due to this car accident deal. I will try to post up some race pics later. We got some pretty good shots as we were right on the shoreline not far from were the cops are standing in this picture, yikes!
    http://www.madisoncourier.com/SiteIm...Photo/3109.jpg
    Here's a link:
    http://www.madisonregatta.com/

Outnumbered
    I have the DVD, not a great movie but it was pretty cool for the classic boating action.
    I bet the river was a mess with all of the flooding and river cresting going on in the Northeast. Sounds like bad luck all around. Any news on the victims?

HocusPocus
    Hey hp how long have you lived in phelan? I spent a lot of time in that area. I have a house still in pinion hills. And my wifes mom has a big custom home being built on johnson rd. Small world huh.....
    We still get down there a few times a year to go riding out by barstow.
    i have lived in phelan since the late 70's and our house is near phelan rd and johnson. i swore when i left for the military that i would never come back to this dirt hole.. that was in 1980 :rollside: :rollside: we have it pretty good here, the wife and i have good jobs here in town so we don't have to travel for work and she even gets a company truck and fuel card.
    Talk about holy shit! We just got home from there. All day we were sitting on the river bank in almost the exact spot on the hill were that car went through the crowd. After the last heat race ended we had got up to get a drink about 5-10 minutes before it happened! Feeling pretty glad to be alive right now! There we're kids playing in the water right there all day and tons of people on the river bank and I don't even want to think about it. I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been. I'm sure it was some of the people who had been sitting right near us. My thoughts and prayers go out them all and thier families. Hell of a shitty way to end the weekend.
    wow.. thats a little close for comfort! im with you on the thoughts and prayers for the families.

maxwedge
    I have the DVD, not a great movie but it was pretty cool for the classic boating action.
    I bet the river was a mess with all of the flooding and river cresting going on in the Northeast. Sounds like bad luck all around. Any news on the victims?
    Definitly worth owning for the movie for the boat racing alone, besides I liked it anyway.
    Yeah the river was a mess, it looked ok on the surface, but only three boats would have been left running for the main event Sunday mostly because of hitting submerged debris. It was a still a great time up until the accident though.
    I've been trying to find some more news on the web about the condition of the victims, but haven't found much. Still Hoping for the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast