Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Electrical Question (Outdoor).

probablecause
    Here is the scenario: We park our toyhauler along the curb of our house (to get it prepped and ready to go) and the only way to plug it in is to run a long extension cord from the garage to the trailer. This is a pain in the a$$ and I am a lawsuit just waiting to happen as it runs across our sidewalk (yes, even with the orange cones, carpet covering it, and road flares).
    We are doing all new grass and now have the time to run electrical to the grass area (between the sidewalk and the street) where we are going to put some palm trees in also. My question is do they make an in ground electrical box that I can sink into the ground that sits flush with my grass that has one of those greet covers on it OR do I have to go with one of the outdoor/weatherproof ones that has that ugly cover that I have to pole mount about a foot above the ground?

beyondhelpin
    Do you mean, do they have a floor plugin for the grass? Not an expert but my guess is no. If they do it would seem like a bad idea anyway. :220v: :220v: :220v:

If it were me I'd put it in a small sprinkler valve box and use a sealed electrical box inside for your plug in. Then switch it from the garage and only turn it on when you know it ain't fulla water (like rainin) and you're gonna use it. Obviously if you got a bunch of water don't turn it on.

cola
    You could dig a hole & fill it with gravel to about 1' from the top. Use a in-ground vault (about 9" round with cover) installed flush to grade. Install a 20 amp outlet with weather proof cover on a stake in vault close to top. Use a GFCI circuit breaker or mount a GFCI outlet @ the house and load wire the outlet at the street. Single circuit 30 amp residential circuit in schedule 40 pvc conduit min. 12" coverage.
    Late, Mike

You could dig a hole & fill it with gravel to about 1' from the top. Use a in-ground vault (about 9" round with cover) installed flush to grade. Install a 20 amp outlet with weather proof cover on a stake in vault close to top. Use a GFCI circuit breaker or mount a GFCI outlet @ the house and load wire the outlet at the street. Single circuit 20 amp residential circuit in schedule 40 pvc coundit min. 12" coverage.
    Late, Mike
    Now there the difference between and electrical expert and a marine parts salesman.

beyondhelpin
    Still seems like a bad idea to me. :idea: :220v:

YeLLowBoaT
    Its almost always illegal to run a box in the ground. I would say go for it, but the last thing you want is to have inspector come by and see it.
    Normally you run a box about a foot off of grade. Almost all of them that I have put it where on some type of mail box.(almost always brick/rock) I have also see the "faux" rock that hides a box.

cola
    Its almost always illegal to run a box in the ground. I would say go for it, but the last thing you want is to have inspector come by and see it.
    Normally you run a box about a foot off of grade. Almost all of them that I have put it where on some type of mail box.(almost always brick/rock) I have also see the "faux" rock that hides a box.
    I'am not a electrician, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

YeLLowBoaT
    I'am not a electrician, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
    I didn't even do that last night

Outnumbered
    These rocks look like they would work (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...svnum%3D10%26h l%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLR,GGLR:2005-39,GGLR:en%26sa%3DN)
    http://www.stacksandstacks.com/image/109610.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast