Thread: 302 5.0 V8 (Need Some Information)

74SUNBIRD
    blocks cracked and its a 302 ford 5.0 marine motor is there a difference in a regular 302 5.0 out of a car? Would a 5.0 302 out of a car work as a marine motor ? Is there a 5.0 302 marine motor? Just trying to find some info out as we need a engine..... thnx for your help!
    -Jeff

74SUNBIRD
    is anyone capable of answering this question...................................

Cheap Thrills
    They are the same with the exception that most marine blocks have a higher nickle content, the piston to cylinder wall clearances and ring endgap clearances are usually set a little looser on the marine version. If you're thinking about putting a used one out of a car/truck into your boat , go ahead .
    If you're building a new engine be sure to let your machinist that it is for a marine application so he will allow for the extra clearances.
    I believe you would have gotten a quicker response in the "Gear Heads" section.
    C.T. :wink:

74SUNBIRD
    Well, this is good news then! As we had bought a 74 Sunbird Samurai 302 5.0 V8 and the 5.0 has a cracked block....... so thnx for the info C.T.
    As i am just getting started into the boating scene . I figured there wasnt really any difference on the application.

YeLLowBoaT
    Are you sure its a 302 ford and not a 305 chevy?

74SUNBIRD
    Well got some good news got a 302 5.0 ! Im going to pick it up tommorow.. Yeah its a 302 5.0 carb for sure. Sounds bad ass with those marine headers.
    Its going in a 1974 SUNBIRD Samurai speedboat 16ft. It has a Volvo Penta Footing on it. Ill be sure to throw you some finished pictures up.
    -Jeff

Trailer Park Casanova
    The Ford Marine motor is the exact same as the Ford Industrial motor if that helps.

74SUNBIRD
    Well, got the cracked 302 torn down & out the boat and transferred parts we needed to the other 302! So its about to be ready for paint and drop it back in the boat, now this is a 1974 SUNBIRD Samurai 302 V8 its very tough. Sounds mean! I need to get some pictures on here.
    - Jeff