Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Immortalized in the Daily News

MissHBjet
    HTM lady good to see your sticken around. Hang in there.

HAVASU_RUNNING
    i heard from a guy who fishes there on castaic and said he was there when it happened and that one of the drives got stuck on some kind of cable at the dock prior to the accient and that could have been part of the problem maybe something happened to the drive or something like that. but then who know for sure, it sure was sad.
    also is magnum amy or what

Charley
    H_R this fisherman's story sounds like an extremely important piece of info/possible clue..... is that account for real or a fish story?

deserteagle
    Originally posted by DMB:
    I agree that enough has been said regarding this subject and the horible outcome of that day will forever be a tragedy that should have never happened.
    However I do see some factual statements to the story and tests have been conducted by recognized authorities,the results of these tests point to negligence and unsafe conditions,not to mention extreme and unresonable speeds.
    When stating that they were simply testing with public safety in mind, I find this a very loose and almost insulting term when refering to that day and the true motivation of witch was to set a speed record and in turn to promote boat sales and bragging rights.
    Someone please define testing for me.
    Let me state that I fell sorry for the loved ones left behind to suffer the consecences of that fatefull day, and while there has been some good to come of this fatefull and tradgic event,how does this erase the facts and responsibility of those involved.
    Sorry, but I just do not see the slander that your describing.
    [This message has been edited by DMB (edited April 01, 2002).]
    Well said DMB. Took the words right out of my mouth.

shockwaveharry
    Originally posted by DMB:
    Sorry, but I just do not see the slander that your describing.
    [This message has been edited by DMB (edited April 01, 2002).]
    I don't believe the article is slanderous, but I do think it's inflamatory and purpously one-sided to promote the authors agenda. The idea she tries to convey in the article is that performance boaters are wreckless, lawless and dangerous. She believes that law enforcement should more tightly control what we do on the lake. SHE QUOTES ONLY THE POSTS FROM OUR MESSAGE BOARD THAT SUPPORT HER POINT OF VIEW. I fault her because I think it's an uninformed opinion.
    I'm pissed because I know that the vast majority of people who read her article will think she knows what she is talking about, believe we are the "bad guys" and never take the time to read the other hundreds of posts on this board pertaining to safety on the water and boater awareness.
    I think alot of good has come from this tragedy in the form of people coming together to help injured families in times of crisis. I also think boaters in general are more safety concious now as well (I know I am).
    Amy Raisin dosen't think these things are important so she left them out of her article.
    Harry

RiverToysJas
    Thanks Harry, very well stated!
    RTJas

shockwaveharry
    Jason, thanks for ripping Magnum, the one post wonder, a new one!

BoatFloating
    I'm not sure if anybody knew but a HTM rolled by the turn at Sandbar this past weekend. I was at the lake but not at the Sandbar at the time but a friend was. Everyone (4) was unhurt. I guess according to my buddy, they were going pretty fast into the turn hit a wake and rolled it. On this article in the Daily News. I used to live in the valley and it's nice to see that fish rap still stinks. This story is a little old now even though we can't forget what happened. The story means nothing now months later. I think someone has a axe to grind. I'll give my oppinion on the saftey issue. 911 is not a rescue team on site they just come after it's too late. The article in Hot Boat gave me some insight. I think they should have had a chase boat going at those speeds and wearing the proper gear. Would this have saved thier lives only one person knows that. But we do know the answer because they didn't. I just hope we all learned something. BE SAFE!
    BF.......
    [This message has been edited by BoatFloating (edited April 03, 2002).]

ROZ
    Hey BF and others interested, Check out ***boats hot spots. There Chet17 states exactly what happened.

Magnum
    Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
    First off, who are you? Are you a boater?
    I have lived here in Castaic for several years now and frequent the lake, I don't own a boat but I have gone boating several times.
    I thought emergency vehicles were always standing by, one needs only dial 911 to get them rolling to your location. "Life Guards" were on boats and in the water at the time of the accident.
    "we should all gather together to make sure that nothing like this EVER happens again." Like what, testing of new boats? Or Accidents while testing? Isn't it the duty of the builder to find the edge of the envelope? Isn't it the responsible thing to do? OR by "like this" do you mean should nobody ever die doing what they love? That would certainly be ideal, but we don't live in an idea world. We are fortunate to live in a country where we are free to take risks. Those men knew just what they were doing, they knew the risks involved and they knew there was a chance they would not return to the dock. That's the game some of us choose to play. Yes there were precautions that those four men didn't take that MAY have saved one or more of them, maybe not. Two men died at the Parker circle races in November, those were experienced racers, in a SANCTIONED event, with emergancy personel on boats nearby, and thay had proper racing gear on. That's boat racing buddy. It's dangerous to push the limits in this sport, not unlike many other sports.
    This tragity DID open the eyes of many people here. It did spur much thought about safety. It did cause many of us re-evaluate what we do and how we do it. If you had been around here more than a day, you'd know that. So get back on your high horse and take your soap box somewhere where you actually understand the situation.
    I am very aware of the situation that occured. And I wasn't attempting stand on a soap box. I just feel this was a tragic accident that could have been prevented.
    "We should also hold responsible the lifeguard officials who allowed this to occur." Allowed this to occur? I didn't know any of them were in the boat, or at the controls? I didn't know LA County Life Guards were Gods that decide who dies and who lives in tragic crashes. OR do mean that they let them, and others, run their boats above the posted speed limit? Yes, they did do that and yes four people died as a result of it. You can find your peace with this situation by blaming whoever is convient, but the fact is they could have run that boat to 150mph any place they chose to. They were breaking the law and THEY paid the ultimate price, the driver specifically is accountable for that. But they all knew the situation, they knew the speed limit was 35, not 150. If they'd been busted for speeding, the driver would have gotten the ticket, not the life guard that 'let it happen'. Since there was tragic death involved it's now different? I think you would have much prefered they took their fatal ride away from your city and park. Fair enough I guess, you claim to live there. You'd not even care about this event if it hadn't brought attention to the area you call home.
    If you are a boater, are you a custom boat owner? IF so, have you ever exceeded the 35 mph speed limit at Castaic?
    Yes people exceed the limit all the time. I am aware though that lake "officials" look the other way. I am suggesting that a policy such as that encourages unsafe behavior. It should be an example to all of us that even seasoned professionals, acting on their own can suffer such tragedy. I was trying to communicate that it was a shame that everyone needs to express themselves in such an angry way, and we should ALL try to make sure that this NEVER, EVER, happens again.
    RTJas
    BTW 'Magnum' or Amy or whoever you are, I don't hide behind anonymity, my e-mail address is in my profile!
    Oh please, I'll send you my e-mail address. I'm not hiding.
    [This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited April 03, 2002).]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast