Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still havin' oil press woes

75MillerJet
    Okay i just took my boat out this last week and my oil pressure has seemed to have dropped since the last time i took it out. Last trip was low enough at 30-40 idle and down as much as 15-20 at 4,500+... last trip my throttle linkage was forcing me to idle around 1,200 and i fixed it before this last week to idle nice around 800rpm but now when it idles at that rpm the pressure sits at no more than 20psi. Now when i get it up to around 1,500rpm it pops up to about 30psi and then when i get on it some more and bring it up to 4,000 and up for more than 15-20 seconds its dropping dangerously low to around 10-15psi. This trip the weather was about 20 degrees hotter outside and my water temp was about 170-180 at running speeds and 190 at idle. I already know olds' reputation for oil problems but could my "new" oil pressure drop be from oil temperature being too high? Also i was told about tapping in some roll pins to the pushrods for restriction instead of pipe cleaners. Either one ok? And would jumping up to straight 50 or 60 weight oil be a good idea for pressure? Right now i'm running 10w30. Thanx for your help guys. I just wanna be worry free for the 4th!

Duane HTP
    15W-50 Mobil One would help you, but it's not going to be a sure cure for the Olds oil pressure problems. It runs back to the pan a little faster than the normal oils. The oil you're running is too light though.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Duane's right. A thicker oil may help some, that 10-30 is too thin, but I'm concerned as to why it's so low in the first place.
    What is your cold idle oil pressure (while still getting off the trailer)?
    What is the hot idle oil pressure (a half hour or more later)? 30-40psi?
    10 to 15 psi cruising at 4,000 RPM?!!!!!
    How large an oil pan is it running?
    Try the heavier oil and see what happens.
    I'm concerned about the lower end bearings and oil pump tho, especially if it's been seeing 15psi @ 4,000+ rpm. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Old Guy
    I've been using Mobil 1 15-50 in all my boats (all Olds) for at least the past 20 years. Never had a problem, with and without oil coolers. I do recommend an oil cooler however.
    old

75MillerJet
    Duane's right. A thicker oil may help some, that 10-30 is too thin, but I'm concerned as to why it's so low in the first place.
    What is your cold idle oil pressure (while still getting off the trailer)?
    What is the hot idle oil pressure (a half hour or more later)? 30-40psi?
    10 to 15 psi cruising at 4,000 RPM?!!!!!
    How large an oil pan is it running?
    Try the heavier oil and see what happens.
    I'm concerned about the lower end bearings and oil pump tho, especially if it's been seeing 15psi @ 4,000+ rpm. :cry: :cry: :cry:
    cold idle pressure about 25
    hot idle pressure about 20
    whenever i wanted to run it at more than 3500 rpm i would have to wait until the engine cooled off by letting it sit while i jumped in and cooled off... this is why it makes me think the decrease in pressure (decreased more than it already was ) is from the oil heating too much and thinning
    i have a 10 qt pan

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Check your filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you see silicone or bearring fragments tear it down!!! I just put new bearrings in my BBC and found that the upper bearrings were worn! I had an oil pressure issue last year from silicone in the oil gallies! I got it all cleaned out but still had some in there. My oil pressure finally stopp waving at me and she ran fine. When I pulled her apart this year I noticed that the bearrings got worn due to low oil pressure! That will starve the bearrings at high rpm's. Spend the $$$ to pull it apart while it is running and save alot of $$$ in the long run!!

SmokinLowriderSS
    That's my concern exactly. My hot oil pressure is only 23 psi on 10-50 syntech, but my cold is 55, as is anything above about 2,000 RPM, never wavers. Not after miles of WFO.
    I'm afraid it's gonna start throwing rods one of these days soon if not caught.

n8dawg
    In my olds I run straight 40wt. My pressure starts off at 50-60 psi then while cruising it will drop to 25-30 psi. When I make hard passes at WOT it will not drop past 25 psi. I've been running like this for 3 seasons with out any problems and you can ask anyone who's boated with me that I sometimes have a heavy foot. I'll drive it till it breaks then I'll put a chevy in it!

kachina_labala
    Mechanical or electrical oil pressure guage? If its electrical get a mechanical one . They are not that expensive. I had some very strange oil pressure issues as well. It ended up to be the electrical sending unit. I was sweating bullets for a bit there.I now run both. I have the electrical one in the dash and If it acts up I can lift the engine cover and compare it to the mechanical one. Worth a check.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I have a similar setup with a "spare" mech gauge under my hood, visible from the seats if the hood is open.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast