Thread: NJBA Chutes? BUSBY

scottys
    Whats the scoop on haveing a chute? Next race? Mph? Certs? Nothing on NJBA site.
    Thanks Scott

scottys
    Hello

jet4fun
    go to their website, njbaracing.net (www.njbaracing.net) and go to the bottom of the page an click on "rulebook"

Sorry about the delay in response ... been busy and not checking the web so much anymore.
    Yes, NJBA's race commitee has voted in a saftey rule due to the unfortunate accident earlier this year w/ Jay Wallace's fatal accident.
    Jay was running a P/E or 8.0 second bracket hydro tripping the lights at 130 to 134 all weekend. Unfortunately, we know what happened, his throttle stuck and his accident followed.
    Due to this NJBA's race commitee has voted in that all hydro's running in excess of 125.0 MPH must have a parachute installed as of our September race. All chutes must be installed with NJBA's guidelines found in our rulebook:
    http://www.njbaracing.net/forms/2006_njba_rulebook.pdf
    It's a small investment that could possibly save your life.
    Another rule that was voted in was a physical throttle stop must be installed. This has been recommended but not required in the past. What I ran was a piece of angle (2x2) with a 1/2"bolt with jam nuts that the pedal would hit when fully depressed. But this too must be installed as of the September race.
    This was announced at our June race to all drivers at the drivers meeting and to all teams when teching the boats as well. We will have the official statement on our web page soon (after our next board meeting on July 18th ... Jim Guthrie our secretary has to write up the official rules and present them for approval).
    Thanks for the question and PM me with any more you might have.
    Brian

billet racing
    I saw a hydro with a chute in Hot Boat yesterday (yes, I just now reveived my copy) and I wondered why you would put a chute on an open boat. Its just going to pitch you out. But I guess thats better than not stopping.
    If you don't pull your kill switch, cut off your fuel, or use any other safety item, what makes you think someone will pull thier chute?
    It is extremely unfortunate what happened to Jay. I wish that on no one, I too was upset about it. The sport does not need this at all. I agree we could all use the latest in safety equipment. I want to be around to race another day. But the safety crew has to be vigilant about checking this stuff.
    Lets see, Ignition kill, fuel kill, ratchet, chute jacket, chute for the boat. Good thing the entry level boats don't require all this. The cost would kill any newcomers. Hell, I paid $3,000 for the pop off and only went over 100 a couple of times. 101-103mph to be exact.
    And I will be buying a chute now also. I expect to be running over 130 in my new hydro as well, and will follow all the rules.
    Next step, my daughter wants to race as well. Will be looking for a ride for her. But thats in another thread.
    Jerry

jet4fun
    so the chute rule is for hydro's only?

Yes ... it's for hydro's only ...
    Jerry ... when you gonna get that thing done? I'm looking forward to seeing you run it. And you're right, it does cost alot ... but if you're going that fast, you should be able to afford to be safe. A chute is 1/5 the price of a pop off ...
    And plant your feet before pulling it ... that's my advice, it'll pitch you if you don't.