Thread: blow by????

Speedin' Ian
    So my brother and I are looking at a 97 Cole Nighthawk... it's a beautiful closed bow with a blown 468 and Bravo 1. The boat is very clean, but a couple things concerned me when we listened to it run. First off it had a little blow by out of the valve covers, now it had been about a year since he had it out so that may be normal. The other thing that concerned me was a sparatic clunking... I'm about 90% sure it was coming from the outdrive... probably the gimble and I think it may have been becaause the drive was trimmed a little to high, or it could be that it needs some lube... Then again it could be going out.
    So what do you guys think??
    Also I think I could get this thing for about 25k... I have about half that in cash. Is there anyone that would finance the rest on a nine year old boat, or would I have to use the equity line?

centerhill condor
    #1 never borrow money to buy a boat! just don't do it.
    #2 see #1
    I'd like to see some pics! best of luck!

Speedin' Ian
    Well I think that is a great theory, but unfortunately with the cost of custom boats these days it's not a realistic option. We own our wakeboard boat and drag boat out right, but our next one will be partially financed.
    Now how about the blow by... anyone have any thoughts on that? The motor is a full roller 468 with a vortech Y-Trim blower putting out about 10 pounds of boost

502 JET
    You should do a leakdown test on the engine.If the engine sat for a long time moisture can pit the cylinder walls and cause poor ring sealing but may not affect compression or power but cause the blow by.
    I had to bore my 502 in my jet boat because the bottom of three cylinders had pitting and it would blow oil out of the breathers and push out the oil dipstick.