Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dyno Day Today

Infomaniac
    Well the quad 540 did not scatter all over the shop.
    Started it up, set the timing to 34 and started pulling. No break in required wink The numbers were a bit low so I walked around the back of the engine to get a peak at the boost gauge.
    I am a bit dissapointed in the boost numbers. Could only get 7 lbs from the Whipple system.
    Started with the 10 lb pulleys and got 6 lbs. Put on the 14 lb pulleys and got 7.
    I assume the belt is slipping very badly. I will ask for help from anyone that has delt with this type of system before.
    The engine made 970 HP @ 6300 with 7 lbs of boost on 93 octane unleaded. I will post a video later. No fudge computer factors here.
    Not your typical dyno run. Using wet exhaust lightning headers and the Whipple flame arrestor. Not too many dyno people that will let you spray water and steam all over their dyno room. And only charge 300.00 per day to do so.
    Can only guess what the engine will do with 12 -14 lbs of boost I was expecting.
    Here are a few pics.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/211Dyno.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/211Dyno_Sheet.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/211Belt_Help-med.jpg[/img]

Infomaniac
    Lets try this video link.
    I changed the video again.
    The sound was so loud it overwhelmed the camera.
    It is a toe curler.
    Yes that is me walking behind the engine to get a look at the boost gauge.
    Dyno Pull
    [ May 17, 2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Heatseeker
    Info, that's the first time I've seen the finished product. Looks bitchin!!!
    970 hp at 6300 rpm on pump gas is a hell of an accomplishment. I can't wait to see what it does with 12-14 lbs. of boost!

man only 970hp,that not enough power to do anything.j/k i would be happy as shit only running 7#'s boost making a 1000hp.but you know engine builders!

HP350SC
    Congrats on your engine build up and dyno numbers. Regarding the pulley system,is it slipping at the crank?It would seem the degree of "wrap" around the crank should be more.Like if one of the lower idlers was closer to the vertical centerline of the motor,it could be used as a backside idler.Thus allowing the serp. belt to wrap around the crank pulley more.Providing it would clear other components on the front of the motor.What does Dustin have to say?

Infomaniac
    Did not get a chance to call Dustin
    Dennis Moore says a bypass valve may be blown. If so one blower is working and the other is recirculating. I wlll test them tomorrow.
    Anyone look at the video?
    I put as much belt wrap as possible and maintain belt tension. Specifically the tight side. Thanks wink

NOCTURNAL
    Info-
    I tried the video and it would not open in Windows Media Player. When I tried to play it a box opened which stated: "An Invalid Media Type Was Selected" I don't know if that means it is bad on your side or mine. The pics looked great though.

HP350SC
    Info,only had a chance to glance at installation and comment before leaving work.Home now,took a closer look.Very,very nice.I tried viewing the dyno pull,but says codec error on media player?By the way,just curious what total cost was to build that motor?(No,I can't afford it).Thought I remembered something about 20-30K? What a deal compared to SC900! Anyway,hats off to a great job.Your engine buildup has been interesting and informative to watch-keep 'em coming!

Infomaniac
    Thanks - Looks like after all the nickel and dime items 26.5 k will get one.
    I changed the video. It is not that great but works. I will make it better.

Whipple Charged
    Let the belt loose a bit so the tensioner will put some pressure on the belt, it's at a point where it can't put as much pressure on the belt. It should be in the center of it's range.
    If a bypass valve is bad, it typically won't lose boost, it simply won't open during vacuum. If you have a lot of vacuum on the inlet of the carbs where the bypass is being activated by, then that would hang them open and leak. Try running them to boost.
    The 6 to 7 doesn't make much sense. Something is odd there. 1/4" pulley change on each blower is typically a minimum 2lbs of boost.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast