Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water restrictors on basset headers

SmokinLowriderSS
    Anybody??????
    OK, how 'bout this; do Lightning headers come with instructions? If so, what size supply lines do they recommend going to each side? My boat already had a -10 line going to each side, I was thinking about going to -8s.
    Brian
    I ran my 5/8 hoses from the t-stat cover to the header manifold inlet, then 3/8 hoses (4 each) into the header tubes. Works fine.
    Mine were used, so no instructions, new may, I dunno.
    only odditty is a "drumming" exhaust note that varries rythmically :RAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaa. It's a little like a muffler effect coming and going, and it kind of swings left to right. I let the admiral drive while I looked over the transom and the water flow out varries in volume for some reason, and switches sides. When more water exits left, it seems to steal from the right, and quiets the left, loudens the right, then it reverses itself, then again a couple secconds later. Have only seen this at cruise. Haven't been able to have her open it wide while I watch. I still have to bump her temps back up some more. I'm running about 115 WFO, 155 idle and want her just a bit hotter (130-140 by arround 180).

PC Rat
    So, I assume most people just dump the water from the engine out the headers. Does anyone get their header water supply from before the engine, so that cool lake temperature water is running through their headers? Could I use a Tee (supply, headers, engine), after my shut off valve at the pump, to supply cold water to the headers; or would most of the water want to go out the headers because of the minimal restriction?
    Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12